• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to link proxies in Premiere Pro of clips that have been replaced by AE clips

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having a huge lagging issue with Premiere Pro working with 4K. It has all worked fine with proxies until I had to use After Effects to reduce the noise of some of the clips. I have replaced the clips in Premiere pro with the AE clips. Even though the AE clips are themselves linked to proxies in AE. When I go back to my Premiere Pro project they appear in 4K, which prevents me from reading any of them as my computer is not powerful enough. This is a huge problem for me as I need to finalise a 1h30 project in the next two days and I have been stuck with this issue for the last month. What can I do for my AEclips in Premiere pro to be read as/linked to proxies? Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

I would say to export out from AE and bring in those clips to PP. Using something like ProRes or Cineform for the export. If it's an HD project, then export out of AE at that resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Most of the time, and especially with hardware limited computers, it's best to replace your Ae comps on a Premiere timeline with exported media from Ae as fast as you have the work in Ae done. Running both apps through their "Dynamic Link" process can have issues and will especially be problematic with stressed hardware.

I would recommend exporting from Ae in say the final format/codec you'll be using as your master export of the project from Premiere is your going to be using an intraframe co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say to export out from AE and bring in those clips to PP. Using something like ProRes or Cineform for the export. If it's an HD project, then export out of AE at that resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you MyerPj, I will have to try that. Unfortunately this means that I will not be able to work all I could want on those clips into PP once back into the sequence (ie extend the clip for instance) but at least it will help me read them and it will probably help with the export too. Fingers crossed. Next time I will know better and not use AE until my project is 100% ready for the last colouring touches!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But thanks a lot 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't forget you have the AE project saved and exactly as you exported. So you can go back in if you need to extend the clips. I typically leave about a second on each side of the clips when I do the project in AE so I have a bit of room to play with in PP and can add a transition in PP, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps "Render and Replace" the Dynamic Link AE comp? Then if you ever update the AE comp and need to replace the proxy, restore the original and then render & replace again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunately not working... lagging too much. but thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the time, and especially with hardware limited computers, it's best to replace your Ae comps on a Premiere timeline with exported media from Ae as fast as you have the work in Ae done. Running both apps through their "Dynamic Link" process can have issues and will especially be problematic with stressed hardware.

I would recommend exporting from Ae in say the final format/codec you'll be using as your master export of the project from Premiere is your going to be using an intraframe codec like ProRes, DNxHD/R, or Cineform. If you're going to be exporting the project final in H.264, I'd still use an intraframe export from Ae so that it plays back easier in Premiere. And encodes easier for the export.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Neil. I think I screwed up a little with the dynamic links too and my computer, as you have well guessed is not the strongest. Thanks a lot for your advise, I will give it a try. It will at least help me read the clips I need to work on and hopefully help a little with the final export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines