• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make the spacebar key stop-playback instead of play/stop?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only worked with sony vegas, so the shortcuts in adobe premiere are new to me. This makes it very difficult to work quickly. One of the shortcuts in sony vegas is: 'stop-playback' when hitting the spacebar or Esc. The cursor will go back to its original starting point. (The shortcut for play/stop is Enter)

When hitting the spacebar in Premiere, the cursor just stops (. This makes it hard for me to find the perfect place for a cut. 

Does anyone know how to change this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Press i to mark an In before you press spacebar to start playback.

When you want to interrupt playback and rerturn to when you started, press shift i (instead of what you're doing now, which is pressing spacebar).

To mark a different start point, press i again at any time (even when playing).

To clear the in mark competely, press option/alt i.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand this question.

In Premiere pressing the spacebar starts playback and while playback is in session pressing spacebar again stops palyback

What is it you actually need this shortcut to do?

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to explain, but I'll try it again. This could be a situation in sony vegas: the cursor is at 1:30, you press the spacebar, the cursor begins to move, you press the spacebar again and the cursor jumps back to 1:30.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In adobe it just stops at 1:45 for example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having a hard time with this while using Premiere. actually its the only reason I haven't quit Vegas.  Selecting exact frame for a cut is soo much easier. as you can quickly loop around with the spacebar to make that perfect cut. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Premiere, right click the play button and uncheck Return Playhead to Start Position on Stop. Boom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround:

You can select some clips (lasso) hit forward slash and then Play Video In to Out (make own kbsc).

If you set the Program monitor to loop it will play it over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press i to mark an In before you press spacebar to start playback.

When you want to interrupt playback and rerturn to when you started, press shift i (instead of what you're doing now, which is pressing spacebar).

To mark a different start point, press i again at any time (even when playing).

To clear the in mark competely, press option/alt i.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! This is exactly what I meant 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find an answer to this? I am having the same issue moving from Vegas to Premier and it's really annoying. I can't belive adobe doesn't link the selction tool with the spacebar. Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get used to it.

This behaviour will never be part of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from the Vegas user manual:

Spacebar

Start playback

Could your version be customized?

You might find enabling Sequence > Selection Follows Playhead to be helpful.  It's not the Selection Tool (v), but close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, actually it's true that you just need to get used to it. I've tried to use the In/Out marks which are very useful but it isn't the same as pressing the spacebar in vegas. Now I just stop the cursor (by pressing the spacebar) and move it back to the starting point by using my arrow keys (?).  It's a bit difficult but you'll get used to it, just like all the other differences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! That would drive me insane. Regarding the Space Bar: Avid, FCP, 1-7, and PPro all behave the same way, FYI. Look into customizing your Keyboard.

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the play button and uncheck Return Playhead to Start Position on Stop. That will enable your playhead to stay where and when you press the spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see that option? Is it Premiere Elements maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines