Highlighted

How to mask and remove subject from backdrop

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched everywhere and cannot find a tutorial that explains how to do this. I was told this is something you can do with Premier Pro, which is why I am testing it out.

What I want to do is shoot a video with the subject in front of a green  backdrop, mask the subject, and create a second video with just the subject with no background.  

The objective is to be able to overlay the subject onto another background.  This is easy to do in Photoshop, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in a video.

Can anyone help me? Or should I be using After Effects instead?

Thank you

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to mask and remove subject from backdrop

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched everywhere and cannot find a tutorial that explains how to do this. I was told this is something you can do with Premier Pro, which is why I am testing it out.

What I want to do is shoot a video with the subject in front of a green  backdrop, mask the subject, and create a second video with just the subject with no background.  

The objective is to be able to overlay the subject onto another background.  This is easy to do in Photoshop, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in a video.

Can anyone help me? Or should I be using After Effects instead?

Thank you

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty much the same in Pr, Ae, Ps. Select your color and tell it to remove it.

-- Effects > Video Effects > Keying > Ultra Key

Search Premiere Pro "Chroma Key" tutorials. You'll see lots of detailed videos you can reference to get you started and finished.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have seen some video tutorials on that topic, but what I really want to do is MASK the subject like I do in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do a mask you would have to do it frame by frame and adjust the mask each frame which would be a ton of work. Using the Ultra Key effect will accomplish what you're looking for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying.

The problem I have is the green backdrop has wrinkles in it, which results in more than one shade of green (due to shadows etc.)  The Ultry Key effect doesn't seem to allow me to choose more than one shade of green... unless I'm missing something.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should be able to adjust the tolerance for things like luminance, saturation, and hue (I think).   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can draw a rough mask around the subject in the opacity to get rid of shades at the edges of the frame

opacity.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2020 0
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color Key or Ultra Key from the effects panel will help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2020 0