• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open HEVC/H.265/MOV in Windows?

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this project exported as AppleProRes 4444 for a Lossless compression 4k. Now, since I use Windows I needed an extension to able to play it. I refrained from VLC bc it's too slow to even start playing so I purchased some other in Microsoft store.

The problem is that it plays but it stutters and buffs. So far, I could say that my computer specs should be more than enough to handle this kind of format.

Windows 10
i9
64gb ram
RTX 3070

Another issue is properties of h.265/HEVC/MOV especially 10bit 4:2:2 formats unable to play properly or cannot play at all. Even with various purchased extensions.

When I import them into Adobe Premiere Pro it can be read. It's playing in the timeline fine but also stuttering bc of the huge file which can always be decoded in proxy to play smoothly.

I'm still getting confused with all these various file formats. I've also recieved files that are MVK.

I can't seem to narrow down to the root of the problem if it is an Hardware issue or Software? Please kindly advise. thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Bridge can playback AppleProRes 4444 4K.

H.265 is a pita to edit on any machine, proxy or transcoding is adviced.

MKV is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing is what best export format for clients who are not gonna have extensions? Is h.264 match source adaptive high bitrate is the best bet so it's just mp4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they want a simple file mp4 will do just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro Res at 4:4:4 color space and some flavors of H.264 might be hard to playback even on your system. Your stats should reveal the weakest link as seen in the video below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For your next project, try transcoding all source footage to Apple ProRes422 HQ and set your Sequence Video Preview to Apple ProRes422 HQ as well.  You'll be taking advantage of Smart Rendering in Premiere Pro and 1080p ProRes422 HQ should play smoothly from USB-C/USB3 or faster (even a standard hard drive).  If working at 2160p, go with faster drives or create 720p ProRes422 Proxy proxies.  You can export an edited master to ProRes622 HQ as well as export H264 or whatever format might be needed for delivery to a client.

Save ProRes4444 and ProRes4444 with alpha for special effects work shot with a high-end camera and for motion graphics with an alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines