• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Remove Occluded Object

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to remove a hideous wall light from my shot. Unfortunately, my actor's head passes right thru it during the scene. 

Is it possible to remove the light? 

Thank you. 

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have better luck doing that in After Effects.

Can you post an example of the clip?

attachment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you.

Hhere's a photo from the shot. 

The light that her head passes quickly through is the white one on the wall. 

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 12.09.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the camera is static and the actors head crosses over the light fairly quickly and there's not to much 'bloom' from the light on the actors head, then copy the clip above on your sequence (onto V2), add a frame hold to this clip so you can create a soft edge mask on part of the wall to then re-position/move it to cover the light fitting, then add another instance of the original clip onto V3. Now create a mask around the actors head near the point they cross the light and animate this mask to follow their head until it has cleared the light.

That's how I would (try to) do it in Premiere Pro. However it's unlikely to look anywhere near perfect, but might work if the scene is quick - particularly the actors head passing across the light.

As Peru Bob suggests - After Effects would be the perfect tool to attempt this as it has better (much better) masking tools for this.

A frame of your problem shot would be great - to see what other issues you might face!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

When you say that After Effects would be perfect, are you talking about rotoscope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you post a frame where her head is in the light ( on way through it ) it would help people to see what's up.

My gut instinct is that you don't want to eliminate the light on wall from lamp shade but should just adjust the level of that light ( y-gain ) in log ( less overlap to lift and gamma ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by 'My gut instinct is that you don't want to eliminate the light on wall from lamp shade but should just adjust the level of that light ( y-gain ) in log ( less overlap to lift and gamma ).' 

You're right that I'm OK with the light on the wall from the lamp shade. The light I'm concerned with is the light fixture on the wall. Do you think there's something wrong with the colour of the light from the lamp shade? 

Here's a photo where her head is in the light I want to remove.

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 16.53.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's not a LIGHT , it's a LIGHT FIXTURE... and it isn't even ON... so stop wasting my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s.

what you want to do is remove SOMETHING static in frame, so look up how to remove logos or stuff like that ... and forget about talking about light at all.  I think it looks fine and it doesn't bother me at all, but do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said what I said knowing you'd be raising your eyebrows in shock. maybe hurt feelings.

I focus on telling stories and the action of actors is usually the drama an audience cares about... so what the set design is, what locations create on shoots, it's kinda like simple and not worth getting obsessed with some stupid wall fixture IMO. Just keep shooting and editing and tell stories with talent willing to work with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Production design is very important IMO. Movies are more than just stories...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lots of choices, but the best is this:

Mocha Pro: Tips for Faster, Better Object Removals - YouTube

Spend a few bucks, its worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines