Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove unused part of video clip

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,
I'm not using Premiere Pro very often, so this might be a total beginner question.

I have recorded myself creating art on the computer, and have lots of video clip, where some of them are over one hour long. What I mostly do is drag and drop one video clip directly into the "timeline" (not sure if that is the correct word). Then I set the speed to 800% and cut out the parts I want. Mostly not more than a few seconds.
The Problem is, that after doing that a while, the preview gets really laggy. I asume it's because Premiere somewhere stores the whole 1+ hour clips, while I'm just using a few seconds from it.
Is there a way I can remove the unused part of the video?
I've already tried to delete the unused media cache files, but this did not change much.

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Check put this write-up of using the Consolidate & Transcode option in the Project Manager. It wil create a new folder with only the uses parts of your videofiles. After this you can archive/remove the original files to save space.

https://larryjordan.com/articles/premiere-pro-cc-understand-project-manager/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suspect that your playback performance is laggy because of the parts of the video you are not using.  Based on the workflow you described, I suspect its laggy because your speeding it up by 800%.  This is make it laggy;

Try and render the preview, this should fox the laggy timeline performance.  the other option(s) are to export the video you have already speedup, and import then back (place them over the original) in your timeline.

if you truely belive the laggy response is from the extra video, you can use the project manager feature in Premier to export the project, which will trim down the videos to only the parts you used, if thats what you want.  There is tons of settings in that feature to get it to export only the parts you used,  You may want to find a youtube video on how that feature works if you feel you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By using the Project Manager you can re-encode only parts of your files in the timeline. But your codec files will change, as well as file metadata and the images will not have the exact same quality.

PlumePack from Autokroma is a Premiere Pro plugin which is like the Project Manager, but it trims your files : you keep the exact same quality, codec and metadata, it's like copying a part of your files. 
It already supports BRAW, R3D, ProRes, H264 All-I, ... and in the next release will support any H.264 / H.265.
More infos : https://www.autokroma.com/PlumePack

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check put this write-up of using the Consolidate & Transcode option in the Project Manager. It wil create a new folder with only the uses parts of your videofiles. After this you can archive/remove the original files to save space.

https://larryjordan.com/articles/premiere-pro-cc-understand-project-manager/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines