• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to ripple delete and preserve marker locations

Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a 30 minute video without about 15 marked areas that I plan to export.  I find that when I ripple delete or insert that my markers down the road don't keep there location on the timeline. any way to deal with that? (or is there a better way to keep track of marked areas for exporting)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Dont know if this will help, but this is the support info I got from Abode. It helped me :

Go to the Marker menu, at the bottom, toggle on "Ripple Sequence Markers". Now when you insert a clip, the sequence markers are rippled forward to stay in sync with the clip(s) they were associated with. Similarly, when you ripple delete a gap, they ripple back to stay in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a couple of threads regarding this issue.

I'm not sure if it is resolved in the June 17th release of CC7.

Premiere doesn't ripple markers. Any workarounds?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1145533?tstart=0

Has the clip marker problem been resolved in Premiere cs6?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4588299#4588299

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe,

those threads show a lot of complaining about the problem but no constructive solution.  Since my markers are often fine tuned to create a chapter dividsion, hand moving all the ones down the road would be almost impossible (or at least not realistic).

What is a better way to handle chapters? I'm sure adobe must have had something in mind that I'm not doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't have more to offer...

I don't do much work of this sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated in the references in Joe's response, your only solution right now is to add chapter marks after all editing is done.

As stated in the references, you can always make a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thought I had was to separate out each chapter with my razor tool and add some empty space betwen the chapters so when I do ripple cuts, it just effects the empty space and not the down stream markers.  I'm fairly new to Premiere and often find when I do things like this I end up with unintended consquences.  Does this plan have merit?  Can you think of anything that will make my life miserable down the road?  I never play the entire clip at once (or encode it that way)

thanks for your thoughts on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be easier to just move the chapter marks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is I have around 15 chapter marks that are very carefully placed (sometimes I did not plan that to be a chapter and I have to carefully get the mark between my voice breaths.  Very easy to get wrong.  I always have trouble editing audio at that level.  You may be right though, that might be easier.  I wonder if the monday release will make this easier. I'm close to finishing this 5 hour course and I hesitate to do a big rev of the s/w, even if this helps.  Historically (sorry to change the thread a little), are Adobe's major releases painful to convert or do they pay good attention to conversion details.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I have around 15 chapter marks that are very carefully placed (sometimes I did not plan that to be a chapter and I have to carefully get the mark between my voice breaths.

Maybe use the Razor Tool (or Ctrl+K) to make a cut

at the frame where you want to keep your marker.

Then you can enable Snap (S) when you move your markers,

and they will snap into place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that sounds like a great idea!  Is there any way to remove all existing cuts in a timeline?  My current time is so filled with cuts it will be hard to recognize which cuts will be the ones I meant for chapter markers.

cuts.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there any way to remove all existing cuts in a timeline?"

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is the type of Marker. If you use Clip Markers, then they ARE attached to the Clip, but do not work as Chapter Markers. Other Markers will be attached to the TimeCode in the Timeline, so will not move, if Clips are changed, or moved about.

I think that the ideal would be to keep the Markers as they are, but provide a function to globally (or multiple via Selection) allow one to change Clip Markers to Encore Chapter Markers, when necessary. Do not know if this will be added in the soon-to-be-released CC version - Monday will likely tell that story.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont know if this will help, but this is the support info I got from Abode. It helped me :

Go to the Marker menu, at the bottom, toggle on "Ripple Sequence Markers". Now when you insert a clip, the sequence markers are rippled forward to stay in sync with the clip(s) they were associated with. Similarly, when you ripple delete a gap, they ripple back to stay in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikeh, you are a god send!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad its useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mikeh!!
Exactly what I needed as well.
I have about 20 chapter markers in 90 minute video, some on exact spots in the middle of a clip and I needed to delete about 5 minutes from the beginning of the time line

Moving all of them manually to the exact same spots would not have been possible (or at least, very inefficient)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where that feature was hiding! Someone ran out of space in the Preferences->General window...? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to fix when randomly the marker overlays the video being played?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ripple sequence markers option is NOT WORKING in PP 2018. Does anyone have any suggestions??  I have posted in the Forums (unanswered) and filed a bug report. I have a 45 minute video with close to 50 sequence (timeline) markers which do not stay in sync whenever I make an edit that affects the timeline. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines