Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to see codec of a file in media browser

Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to view the codec of a file in the Media Browser or Metadata before importing it to a Project? I'm learning about best input/editing/output properties while working with a lot of different source materials, and this would be really helpful for troubleshooting and making sure I'm adding the right version of a file to my project. I've tried renaming when transcoding, but this is tedious and there's no great way to represent all attributes in a file name. 

Even if I open a file from Media Browser in the source viewer, the MetaData panel nor the Properties panel show codec information, and I can't find where to add this to columns in either the Media Browser list view nor the MetaData attributes list. For that matter, I also want to see FPS, bitrate, and more in media browser columns.

Thoughts? 

TOPICS
Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks for helpful suggestions! The correct answer is "you can't". 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can view all the meta data after import. If you don't like what you have imported: delete

Might want to make you wishes known here.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1864 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Windows system you can right click the media (images, audio files, video files) and get info about the files. You can find that info on a Mac as well. It will say JPEG, BMP, MPEG 2, R3D etc. It mght not give you as much detail as you want. Once it is Premiere Pro you can right click for details and you can have the metadata displayed in the the database.  You can opt to display fields, codec, duration, usage etc. If you start watching at 3 minutes in you will learn how to enable different metadata fields. That being said feel free to watch the whole video.

https://youtu.be/QjyWL_1rH-c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helpful suggestions! The correct answer is "you can't". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hahahaha nice lol, so it's still no way to check the import clip bitrate right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines