Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set a default export preset?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First, I have searched the forums and only found threads that didn't have any real conclusions.

I edit a lot of files, and for 95% of them I use the same export preset, as I'm sure many people do.  I very rarely use the Match Source preset, as I need to save bandwidth/file sizes.  Premiere Pro remembers my Format choice (H.264), but it doesn't remember my Preset.  I have to select it manually every time.  I haven't found any way to set a default.

Can anyone help with this?  I'm quite surprised that a program as thoroughly developed and refined as PP doesn't have this implemented many years ago.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal behavior is for Premiere Pro to use the same export settings for all first time sequences, or the last used settings for subsequent exports from any given sequence.

In other words, for a new project with many sequences, you will have to choose the settings for the first sequence.  After that, the remaining sequences will come up with those same settings.  But if you were to export any given sequence a second time and need different settings, you would have to change them manually for every sequence.

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your answer, but that's not the behavior I'm getting.  Every sequence has to have the preset re-selected.  Only if I re-encode a sequence is the preset remembered.

This also goes for other threads on the same subject in this forum, BTW.

Steinar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

You on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Mac, everything updated to latest versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

My only thought is you have a different default behavior than PC.  I don't know if that can be altered except by switching to PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i have the same behavior on a pc ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's not normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone from Adobe help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While not a solution to your issue, a (semi) workaround is to use Media Encoder, which exposes your custom presets at the top of the list in the Preset Browser.

You can send multiple sequences to Media Encoder (without bothering about their settings in Premiere), and drag your preset to all the sequences you want and it will affect all of them, saving you some steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone from Adobe watching these threads?  I would like to know if there's anything I can do.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is primarily a user forum.  Adobe staff help out when they can.

Maybe take a look at this, see if anything helps.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steinar: Create a preset (or modify an existing one and save it with a new name): Media Encoder Help | Using the Preset Browser

When you're ready to export, send the sequence(s) to the Media Encoder Queue and then drag your preset to all of the jobs in the queue to apply that preset to your multiple outputs simultaneously.

I would also recommend making a feature request so that, say, in the Media Encoder General Preferences, you could select a preset as the guaranteed default every time: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Finally, check out watch folders in Media Encoder: Create a watch folder | Adobe Media Encoder tutorials

Perhaps that will address your needs.

Please post back whether any of this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later!!!!  

DELETE THE "AddExporterList.txt" File!  

That fixes this, so it remebers the last preset you used and also Quicktime shows up as an export option (Quicktime remembers SMPTE Time Code track).

With Media Encoder quit out of... Go to Applications/Media Encoder and CONTROL+mouse on the application to Show Package Contents... go to the Contents/Resources/txt folder and copy as backup to your desktop (or wherever you want), then delete the file "AddExporterList.txt".  Empty your trash, restart Media Encoder.  That will fix that!

2 problems were happening with my CS6 Media Encoder on my Mac, 1) Quictime export was not an option, 2) the Default export was some FLASH movie preset and everytime I sent a movie to Queue to encode from Premiere Pro that same preset of FLV H264 was the only thing it would start up with and I had to manually add my custom preset to it and delete the FLV preset, except I couldn't get Quicktime to replace the MP4 format!!!!  BUT now it's all working as expected!!!! YAY!!!

Any questions....

JOHNAVATAR.com

Pacific Palisades, CA 90402

Media Encoder app show package congtents - Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 10.14.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically if you are doing epiosodic and each time you enter a new project, you will default to the H.264 High bitrate with no TC?

This is very annoying when I am exporting all my H.264 with TC and instead of it defaulting to my preset, it defaults to the Adobe one and my export has no TC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Media Encoder 2022 on PC, went to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder 2022\txt\ , deleted AddExporterList.txt and now it remembers my last selected Preset. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2023+ you have to set the export preset before sending to encoder.   That will follow whatever you have in the settings there.  It's not great, but it works.  They just added a ton of steps for no reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also wondering why it is'nt possible to set a default preset in media encoder. Seems like such a non-brainer and basic functionality. I need to export most of the stuff for youtube, and every d---- time I need to reset it. Wouldn't be such a problem if the drop-down then actually drops upwards (because of multiple screen setup) and it takes forwever to finally set my preset. That we have to send Adobe an official request for such a basic non-brainer feature just shows me how Adobe has left the path of intuitive workflows. Pretty lousy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree,  this is a pathetic feature flop, for a product that is this old. 

Adobe support is also useless to determine when productivity shortcomings like will be fixed. 

Default export preset and default export source range  should be settable globally AND on a per project basis in premiere pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what's the fuss about. If you have a specific workflow that you need to adhere to, create a template project (with a template sequence) with all the settings that you require, copy/paste that project whereever you want and get on with it.

This allows you to have as many templates as you'd like instead of having ONE single default setting applied globally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I am having the same problem, which apparently you are not understanding.

Even doing what you suggest wouldn't work, because PP doesn't remember what the last setting was. It always defaults to the one at the top of the list.

What's infuriating for me is that PPCC2019 actually did do this correctly, but PPCC2021 does not. And no, setting the sequence to the same as the export isn't a solution. I edit in the full resolution of the footage, so that all FX are done properly, but then at the last step, export a compressed file that is the best combination of quality vs. time. The default takes twice as long, which for me and my 2 hour programs, is a bad thing. Not to mention the file space taken up. Instead, I want the output to default to ProRes 422 LT. That it doesn't do this is infuriating. It's not difficult to overcome; I just have to remember every single time to make this change, but for OVER 20 YEARS, I have been using software that didn't require this. Which means that there is a very good chance while on a tight deadline I will forget. What's more, I have to remember this for every export I do.

The other posters observe correctly that Adobe seems to not be paying attention (and this was 3 years ago), as there are other fundamental features – like setting in and out points for sequences – that do not work properly, the way all other NLEs work. PPCC 2021 requires that you set the sequence in and out points TWICE, otherwise they don't stick. That was also slightly better in 2019, but still was wrong, as setting the in and out points in a sequence wouldn't work, but then at least I could set markers and use those markers to set the in and out points in the source window. Now, I have to do BOTH set the points in the sequence AND use markers to set them in the source window, which is 2x as long to do, and means there are 2x as many chances for errors, for something that should take 1/4 of the time if it worked properly.

I moved to PPCC because FCP7 couldn't keep up any more and FCPX is garbage for the workflow I use, which is different from what FCPX was designed for. PPCC is as close as I've found, but these little misses are really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone recently liked this, so I thought I'd give an update

I was (essentially) forced to upgrade both my OS (to Big Sur) and as a result CC (to 2022). It was... unpleasant, and there were many issues. One which 2021 had required an upgrade to 2022, namely having more than 2 tracks in a ProRes video source. But I digress.

CC 2022 Premiere pretty much fiixes this issue! There's a brand new dialog box on export, which allows you to access various presets in a better way, and I believe even remembers the last preset you used for a particular sequence. It even has the ability, I think I haven't tried, to export multiple formats in the same export action. The only thing I don't like about it is for some reason, the dialog window is the same size as whatever screen real estate you're using in your timeline screen. I'm on a 36" ultra-wide monitor, which makes this dialog comically large. I tried resizing it, but after the dialog is complete, all of Premiere is now at that size, which is annoying.

Anyway, if you can stomach upgrading, at least you have this to look foward to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sami Succarnext time you could keep your "useful" advice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

After all these years and version (I'm in 23 v.) we still have the same problem/issue/headache, I've saved my preset but I have to select it everytime when encoding, again: any one was able to set up a persistent setting for encoding? In the previous version a guy came in here and I told him about it and with some clicks was able to set it up. now when upgrade to 23 after many clicks still the "H.264 - Match Source..." setting is always sitting there when I reach that screen.

Has any one find out the way how to set it up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so things changed in v22 to be both a bit better and a bit worse

When going to export, the export window became equal to the edit window in the interface. This is dumb, because it means the export window takes up the whole screen, and when you're on an ultrawide, the submit button is aaaaaalll the way to the right. You can't resize without changing your edit window size. Silly.

However, once I understood the new setup, it did open up some more powerful options. For instance, I can now have multiple export option per sequence. What's a little annoying is that it doesn't appear that these can be shared across sequences, and there are several defaults that I never use, which makes the interface clunky. That said, the export settings can be made by duplicating the media default or creating a new one, naming it, then putting in your settings. I am then able to use that export every time. Just wish it were easier to have the same default across multiple sequences. I imagine there must be a way to do that, but I have yet to find it, and this method has been working so far.

Word of caution: do NOT set an in/out point in the export preset. If you do, that PERMANENTLY sets those points, and there doesn't appear to be a way to revert to using the sequence's in/out points. Took me an hour to figure that out when I discovered it was happening, and it's a very hard setting to search for in the manual. If you accidentally do this, the only solution is to create a new preset with those settings (but without the in/out points set).

I can imagine there might be a reason one would want this feature, but it should be a toggle, not a hidden function that you can accidentally set by clicking the wrong button in the shuttle controls.

I haven't upgraded to 23, so I don't know those issues, and I don't plan to upgrade if I don't have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines