How to set background colour for a photo.

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm a complete newbie, trying to get started with making a 'video' using still images. So far so good and I've made a lot of progress, but I'm having difficulty finding a way of setting the background colour to my images. Online I found a quite helpful tutorial, but unfortunately I have no idea about where the 'starting point' for that tutorial is. Can anyone give me the quick, step by step and not assuming I know all sorts of things answer about how to colour the background behind a photo, please?

I'm using  Adobe Premiere Pro 2020, which I signed up for only yesterday.

Richard

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 11, 2021
Steve Griffiths Adobe Community Professional , Feb 11, 2021
Hopefully this is what you are after. In your project window in Premiere Pro there is a small icon at the bottom of the window that is a square with a folded corner - click it and from the pop-up menu select 'color matte'. Make sure the width and height match your sequence settings (likely 1920x1080) click 'OK' and in the next window 'Color Picker' choose the color you want. After clicking OK choose a name for this matte then click 'OK'. Now you will have a color matte clip in your Project windo...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this is what you are after.

In your project window in Premiere Pro there is a small icon at the bottom of the window that is a square with a folded corner - click it and from the pop-up menu select 'color matte'. Make sure the width and height match your sequence settings (likely 1920x1080) click 'OK' and in the next window 'Color Picker' choose the color you want. After clicking OK choose a name for this matte then click 'OK'. Now you will have a color matte clip in your Project window that you can drag to your sequence and place under your photos. You'll need to move your photos to video track 2 or above and place the matte underneath them on video track 1. You can create as many color mattes as you like.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative method is to create a new file with a background color the size of your sequence in Photoshop and place your photo in that new file.  Then import the new file into Premiere Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use either method to create a textured or other background.

Put the textured photo or image on track 1 instaed of the color matte for Steve's method.

I often use an image similar to this one:

https://www.psdgraphics.com/textures/grunge-gray-wall-texture/

Put the textured photo or image on a layer below your photo in Photoshop for the alternative method.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
defaulttxbv535cs7eo AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all of you, greatly apopreciate your help with this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines