Highlighted

How to share rushes or rough cuts with non Adobe users?

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we can just export such material and share it via WeTransfer or upload it to YT or whatever. But that's rather time consuming. Is there a way to share a sort of preview from within Premiere with a non Adobe user? And ideally have the possibility for this person to comment on that material? Thanks for any suggestions.

TOPICS
Export, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to share rushes or rough cuts with non Adobe users?

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we can just export such material and share it via WeTransfer or upload it to YT or whatever. But that's rather time consuming. Is there a way to share a sort of preview from within Premiere with a non Adobe user? And ideally have the possibility for this person to comment on that material? Thanks for any suggestions.

TOPICS
Export, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could run zoom or teamviewer and share your screen.  Not with great results though.  FCP7 had a feature to do this which was great.   Unfortunately Apple abandoned fcp7 in all there wisdom and broke the functionality in an OS update.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two main ways are Frame.io and Wipster. Go check out their offerings on their websites. Frame.io is the more 'professional' of the two, and used by more of the major shops servicing b-cast/commercials and such. Tends to be spendier. Wipster is used far more by the folks working web-based projects, though of course some are doing b-cast work.

Both install as a plugin within Premiere, giving you an additional panel for their work. You can then tell it to create rushes at various quality levels and share that with whomever you've set up with. They have a viewer on their system so they can watch the video play, and actually type onto the screen so their comments appear on the same frames they're wanting to comment about.

Past those, there are several companies who have different ways to setup livestreamed sessions ... and those can range from a "relatively mild" cost to fairly spendy.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, did you ever work with the feature in fcp7?  I think it was called Ichat Preview Theater or something like that.  If you and your client had solid internet (and I'm talking 10 years ago...) the client could actually watch what was playing in the source or canvas, so they were actually watching you edit.  I was on the beta team for fcp7 so I did a bunch of testing and after the release, I worked with a couple of clients remotely.  Not the ideal way to work, but in the current situation, would be fantastic.  Much, much better quality than I'm seeing with zoom or teamviewer.    Just wondering if Frame.io or Wipster have a comparable feature.   From their homepage doesn't seem like it and haven't had a chance to dig deeper yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never owned any Apple kit, so no, never did anything with FCP in any version. And there are various ways both Frame.io and Wipster work, not actually familar with them.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem either of them offer this feature.  It's a shame, cause it was the ideal way to work remotely imho and if it was doable 10 years ago with hardware and internet speeds available at that time, it's gotta be doable today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite a few companies getting into video app sharing, many past Frame.io and Wipster. Companies that are trying to provide such a service as you're talking about, allowing other people to watch the work you're doing.

As I'm a contributing author at MixingLight.com, a colorist's site, that is a HUGE item of discussion on their Slack channels. Colorists have typically worked FAR more with client in the suite during the entire process than editors. So this Covid mess has been a massive headache for them. I've probably seen discussions between MixingLight and the LGG forum on twenty different companies offering different services in this area.

Sadly, some of the best seem to rely on the users knowing their router and computer OS setting locations to get best image quality and lowest latency. But more enter the fray every day, and I haven't kept up on the names as I don't often need such service.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but will the clients be monitoring on a calibrated monitor?  I guess when we're working remotely, it's the best solution...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but will the clients be monitoring on a calibrated monitor?"

You win the prize!

Yea, that's a major pain point for colorists and VFX people alike. With clients not in the suite, color-critical questions are maginified dramatically. And very, very few clients have proper color screens.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course the flip side of that is "will the actual audience have a calibrated monitor" and the answer is...NO.  Back in the day, you always needed to listen to your audio mix on crappy speakers to get a sense of what most people would hear...  not exactly the same thing, but...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0