• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to word wrap captions in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an .srt captions file that I made at YouTube. Then I dragged the captions to my timeline above the video and the timing is perfect. I also adjusted the font size to make the captions easier to read. However, I am uncertain how to word wrap the captions. Currently, some of the caption text goes beyond the right side of the screen. While I could manually create a line break, I was hoping Adobe Premiere has a way to auto word wrap the text, like YouTube.

So, how do you set the captions text in each box to word wrap?

System
Premiere CC (2018) v.12.1, Kentos

Windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I  need to burn a big translation on a video so it's not a good option to do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this is possible in PR.

I would use subtitle edit: Tools -> Split Long Lines. I will give you a choice of setting "Single line maximum length" and inserting line breaks - <br /> - to make multiple lines at the same timecode, or "Line maximum length" to create a new line at a new timecode. For the latter category you can also tell it whether to add no punctuation, or to insert a dash or ... at the beginning and or end of added lines.

I can't say whether the timing worked, but the file imported without error, and the text was correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you find "Tools -> Split Long Lines" ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the third party app "Subtitle Edit":

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Xavier Adechy
[personal info deleted by mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a issue with the method you mentioned. I did use subtitle edit to include line breaks. But when I import the file in Premiere Pro, it does not have the line breaks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran through the test again, and it works for me.

But I did discover that there are no "line breaks" (as, for example, <br />) inserted by SE they are just regular line endings (e.g. if looked at in a text editor that shows endings: CRLF). So in source view in SE,  for a 2 line caption, you see:

00:00:22,421 --> 00:00:24,797
also not to grow food for the hungry
goal is to serve the Lord and to serve

What are you seeing?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been having this problem too in Pr, have they found a solution to this?

My issue is when creating subtitles for different version of videos for social media, for example:

Square and Vertical (where you need it to adjust to a two liner and not exit the screen)
versus
Standard and Wide (where you need the captions to stretch as a one line).

I hate it when I have to re-edit the srt file(in the Captions console) after editing them for Standard and Wide, and then re-editing them back again for re-exporting the first edit. 

Another problem is when I create a duplicate of the SRT file, so I could assign it to a designated sequence, it shows errors, and sometimes only 1 of them are visible (like you can only use one srt file per project. 

Note: I use a single project file for a single video and make the dimensions adjustment for each setting as a sequence. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

April, sorry I did not see this when you posted.

> Another problem is when I create a duplicate of the SRT file, so I could assign it to a designated sequence, it shows errors, and sometimes only 1 of them are visible (like you can only use one srt file per project.

You can have multiple .srt's per project. However, when you "Duplicate" an srt inside PR (whether it was imported or created in PR), it is not really independent - chaning the duplicate caption stream may change the orginal. Or NOT! And duplication is vulnerable to bugs, such as the display of the captions no longer showing in the Program Monitor.

So, first, ignoring the wide vs standard issue, if you want a duplicate of your srt, export as srt. Change the name outside PR. Reimport it. Then change it as you wish.

If I understand your workflow, I would start with whatever version is closest to the imported srt. Modify text and timing as needed. Export as srt. Rename. Reimport. Right click, Modify -> Captions. Change pixel size and par as needed. Place that srt on the next higher track in your sequence and turn off visibility on the first caption track.

I would look for a way to edit all your content in one sequence - set for one of your exports, then copy that to another sequence modified for your other export (and/or nest depending). And create the two caption streams as I already described.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines