How to word wrap captions in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an .srt captions file that I made at YouTube. Then I dragged the captions to my timeline above the video and the timing is perfect. I also adjusted the font size to make the captions easier to read. However, I am uncertain how to word wrap the captions. Currently, some of the caption text goes beyond the right side of the screen. While I could manually create a line break, I was hoping Adobe Premiere has a way to auto word wrap the text, like YouTube.

So, how do you set the captions text in each box to word wrap?

System
Premiere CC (2018) v.12.1, Kentos

Windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to word wrap captions in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an .srt captions file that I made at YouTube. Then I dragged the captions to my timeline above the video and the timing is perfect. I also adjusted the font size to make the captions easier to read. However, I am uncertain how to word wrap the captions. Currently, some of the caption text goes beyond the right side of the screen. While I could manually create a line break, I was hoping Adobe Premiere has a way to auto word wrap the text, like YouTube.

So, how do you set the captions text in each box to word wrap?

System
Premiere CC (2018) v.12.1, Kentos

Windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I  need to burn a big translation on a video so it's not a good option to do it manually.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this is possible in PR.

I would use subtitle edit: Tools -> Split Long Lines. I will give you a choice of setting "Single line maximum length" and inserting line breaks - <br /> - to make multiple lines at the same timecode, or "Line maximum length" to create a new line at a new timecode. For the latter category you can also tell it whether to add no punctuation, or to insert a dash or ... at the beginning and or end of added lines.

I can't say whether the timing worked, but the file imported without error, and the text was correct.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you find "Tools -> Split Long Lines" ??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the third party app "Subtitle Edit":

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Xavier Adechy

Office: +44 (0)1183 341 970
Mob: +44 (0)7540 305 985
xavier@adeluxconsulting.com
www.adeluxconsulting.com

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been having this problem too in Pr, have they found a solution to this?

My issue is when creating subtitles for different version of videos for social media, for example:

Square and Vertical (where you need it to adjust to a two liner and not exit the screen)
versus
Standard and Wide (where you need the captions to stretch as a one line).

I hate it when I have to re-edit the srt file(in the Captions console) after editing them for Standard and Wide, and then re-editing them back again for re-exporting the first edit. 

Another problem is when I create a duplicate of the SRT file, so I could assign it to a designated sequence, it shows errors, and sometimes only 1 of them are visible (like you can only use one srt file per project. 

Note: I use a single project file for a single video and make the dimensions adjustment for each setting as a sequence. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2020 1