• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would you go about making only the hands and the piano visible?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community members and more experienced users,

The title says it: I want to remove the background, so that only the piano and my hands are visible. The problem I seem to encounter, is that the greenish carpet doesn't seem to be that different in color so that I can isolate it and reduce it from the rest of the video. Any other approach I can take?20200907_075633.jpg

Thanks!

Dan

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

That's a really cool effect! I think to summarize this thread, the options available to you are if it's a locked off shot:

1. Mask out everything other than the keys, your hands will show

2. Use black cloth under your hands and light the hands and keyboard area to then use levels to "mask out" or fade out the rest

3. Use a greenscreen.

4. Rotoscope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine you might have to do some tedious rotoscoping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks buddy I'm going to look into it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

basically impossible to do due to motion of arms and rug ( you want to have legs or not ? ). Huge headache to do what you want and so I would forget it and redesign the whole frame ( your product ).  Just mask out the part that is totally static ( the piano keys ). Then you can add cartoons, music score, other things above and below the keyboard as you like ( upper video levels like you have in timeline ).

KEYS ONLY.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks buddy appreciate the input, for next time I think I'll use a green screen on the bottom, or a black cloth to make it all dark except for the hands, which will make them seem to float (I did this in another video), this is what it looked like not too shabby ay 

Screenshot_20200907-205451_YouTube.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a really cool effect! I think to summarize this thread, the options available to you are if it's a locked off shot:

1. Mask out everything other than the keys, your hands will show

2. Use black cloth under your hands and light the hands and keyboard area to then use levels to "mask out" or fade out the rest

3. Use a greenscreen.

4. Rotoscope

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks really pretty. I like how the hands blend into dark so it's not so sudden ( like chopping off hands at the wrist which would be the mask I suggested. Basically the same thing but you did a nice job the way you did that sample you posted.

Good going !

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!! I guess I'll change my setup for next time, for now I'm gonna keep the rug 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines