• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HUGE Lag in the timeline, almost unusable, help!?!

Explorer ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been editing in Premiere Pro on this machine for a few years, specs are:

i7 8086k @ 5.2Ghz all cores

Integrated GPU only

32GB DDR4-3600

Samsung 970 Pro NVMe (OS/Premiere/Scratch)

Striped/RAID 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Pro (SATA)

Like I said I've editing on this for several years and all of a sudden today my timeline is nearly unusable. If I zoom or scroll it's between 1-3 seconds before anything actually moves. CPU utilization is very low at the time, very little else running. I've tried:

- Edit - Preferences - Media - Disable H.264/HEVC hardware decoding/encoding (and restarted Premiere)

- Disabled input audio device

- Moved scratch disks to another disk

- Disabled GPU acceleration (software only)

And none of these have any impact at all on the timeline or just moving around Premier. I realize now there are faster chips than my 8086k but it's not exactly a slouch by any means and should be able to run Premiere just fine. Oh, and my timeline is VERY empty, I use a template for my videos and I'm just opening the base template with some titles and simple animations (just simple keyframes to move titles, etc).

Any help would be VERY appreciated as this is KILLING my productivity all of a sudden. It's been about a month since I edited on this machine so I'm not sure if an update to Premiere caused this or not.

Thanks!

~Exigeous

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - 2 days ago my premiere worked fine but now, after the update it's absolutly unusable. It takes me actual MINUTES to move from one workspace to another, and when I try to change any settings (eg. scale of the video) the number do not update at all, I can only vaguelly pull on them left or right and try to 'feel it out'. This is absolutly riddiculous 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the Quick Sync become dissabled? Can you show us your stats like in the video below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8qte40pykI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That video in no way addresses the issue - maybe I wasn't clear or you didn't read, the problem is moving around the timeline. Just basic, using the program - this has nothing to do with rendering after completion.

I've swtiched between software and hardware in Project Settings - General as well as enabling and disabling H.264/HVEC in Edit - Preferences - Media. All have no impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know your video is about playback. I posted my video to let you know I wanted to see your stats. Is your IPGU encoding and decoding as it should? Your states will let us now that.

If enabling and dissabling H.264 encoding and decoding has not impact on your system when editing H.264  then maybe the Intel Quick Sync is not working but we will never know without seeing your stats. I have mentioned several times in other post that my Quick Sync becomes dissabled for no reason in the last few releases of Premiere Pro. It works for five or ten minutes then cuts out. Perhaps a Windows 10 update is to blame and not Adobe (I think it is bug). Your system might be the same way. Just because you enabled and dissable the hardware encoding and decoding does not mean it is actually working. Sometimes CUDA acceleration does not work but a driver update might fix it. The stats will work for playback as seen in the video below. Perhaps Intel's Quick Sync is no longer working for you but I cannot say for sure without seeing your stats. If Intels Quick Sync is working on your system perhaps ASIO4ALL drivers would help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried switching to a CODEC that's good for editing?  Specifically one that supporst Premiere Pro's Smart Rendering?  (https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-what-is-smart-rendering/m-p/10648488)

If your original video is H264/H265, I recommend transcoding to those clips to Apple ProRes422 LT and then setting the Sequence Video Preview to Apple ProRes422 LT as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wareen,

Keep in mind Exigeous stated his system used to work. Is the glitchy playback the result of a Windows update or Premiere Pro update? Who knows for sure? Transcoding might work but it does not solve the problem. That being said it may or may not be an Abobe bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only started immediately after Premiere Pro update.  Literally the moment I launched the programme after update it ceased to work.  Was working just grand earlier today before update so don't think it has anything do do with wondows updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but cutting H264 as if it was meant for editing is not a best practice.

It's a delivery CODEC.

If cutting on Avid Media Composer, H264 source is concerted to DNxHD on ingest.

If cutting on Apple Final Cut Pro, the default it to convert to Apple ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren,

Editing H.264 with AVID, Vegas or Resolve is a non issue. Premeire Pro can use Intel's Quick Snyc and Nvenc and the original poster stated things used to work. In the video link below I show an old computer setup editing 4K H.264 with ease using Premiere Pro. It can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably worth noting the following:

• H.264/H.265 (mirrorless cameras, drones, and cell phones) are computationally-intensive formats, such as heavily compressed.  Depending on the required produciton value of the edited master, this may be very, very important to consider or avoid.
  • AVID documentation clearly indicates that H264 is a one of the non-native formats that "require transcoding during acquisition before they can be stored in the Avid MediaFiles folder".
    https://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Avid_Supported_Video_File_Formats.pdf
  • While Vegas Pro supports the H.264 family, including MP4 and AVC/AVCHD, and also supports cutting-edge codecs like HEVC, as well as common professional formats like XDCAM/XAVC and P2, it does not offer the option to transcode to a lossless format like ProRes.  If you're cutting for broadcast, cable, streaming and/or theatrical, this is a consideration with the exeption of XDCAM/XAVC and P2 commonly used for broadcast news.
  • While Resolve and Resolve Studio are very similar, Resolve Studio utilizes improved handling for common compressed codecs such as H.264 and H.265 and supports hardware acceleration.  

I would venture to guess that 80% or more of the H624/H265 based "Premiere is laggy/buggy" support posts would not exist if one of Premiere Pro's Smart Rendering workflows was in use, not to mention the speed gains for rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren,

We are not talking about Avid or Vegas. These forums are for Premeire Pro. My video demonstrates Premiere Pro can edit H.264 just fine. In fact I am using that system for all my work because my i9 9900K./RTX 2070 system is getting repaired. That being said there are odd variations of H.264 that Nvenc and Quick Sync cannot encode or decode. Some variations of H.264 can bring a 12 core CPU to it knees.

If someone's mediocre system from four years ago was editing H.264 just fine but cannot do it now the Nvenc or Quick Sync might not be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, editing like a dream until I installed this this afternoon and now I can't get anything done....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith,

Can you post your stats? Maybe CUDA and Quick Sync are not working correct in the latest update. The last couple of updates caused Quick Sync to stop working on my system. Premiere Pro can be buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy

I'm new to Premiere Pro and the community so please bear with me.  When you say stats, what do you mean.

Thanks for replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good question to ask. The stats will allow you to see if the CPU is pegged at 100%. It will also let you seee if your hard drive, GPU or RAM is pegged at 100%. You will be able to find the weakest link in your setup with ease. You will never have to ask if you need a faster hard, more RAM or a better CPU. I will try make a video tutorial tonight for Windows showing how to enable the stats using Windows. Does that sound good? Having said that all the videos I posted thus far show my stats. All my computer systems are well optimized and do a good job of showing what Premiere Pro is capable of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith,

The video below might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Were you able to resolve this issue? 
I believe I am having a similar issue and I have narrowed it down to with nesting vidoes in the sequence. 

Do you have a problem if you don't nest videos?

My conversation about it
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/unresponsive-timeline-interface-and-lagging-of-mouse-and...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines