• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't drag videos into timeline in premiere it is NOT a source patching issue Premiere is Useless

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent hours trying to find a solution to not being able to drag any videos anywhere in Premiere pro. 

It is NOT the simple source patching solution everyone is saying works. That does not solve my problem, I literally can not use premiere pro. I have tried multiple versions and all have the same issue. I just updated to the latest version that just released today and still it does not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled I have tried every suggestion that I could find but everyone just keeps repeating the same answer that does not work for me. I can not drag clips anywhere, not from the source monitor not from the bin, not from anywhere. Super frustrating that only the most basic feature required of any video editor does not work. 

I have never had issues with premiere pro like this. Its very frustrating I had a project I needed to complete by tommorrow and it looks like the free version of Microsoft movie maker might be a better video editing solution at this point in time. 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem. I shot video on my iPhone 11 Pro and tried importing it in various different ways to my new MacBook Pro (purchased in December); iCloud, Airdrop, etc. The bottom line is that, while all the videos show up on the MacBook and in Premiere, some have the video and audio icons and others have the audio icons only, and those cannot be dragged into the video timeline, also whether I import directly, drag and drop from desktop, drag and drop from IPhoto, etc.  I am using different audio for this project so all I need is theh video. These videos were shot sequentially, within the same 20 minutes and yet some I can use and some I cannot - this makes no sense to me at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the media is VFR, like from a phone, Premiere may or may not be able to handle the clips. And it will vary based on how variable the clip's internal frame-rates are. A clip with only small changes in frame-rate may import, while another one with a wider frame-rate variablity will not.

Basically, it's better to convert via HandBrake to CFR before importing to PrPro. You can also batch the conversions. And do it while you're sleeping or away from the computer to save your time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try that. I had tried converting the files via "The File Converter" (App Store download) and that idn't work, but i understand that it only converts the file format, not the Codec. An online suggestion I had seen was using Premiere Pro from 2017 but thats not an option anymore. I can't imagine why one clip's frame rate would be different than another's (the video I initially found the problem with is only 3 seconds long), but, as they say, I'll go with it.

Crossing my fingers that HandBrake does the trick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you understand why the devices use a variable frame-rate? That's often misunderstood. Or simply what variable frame rate means.

It's used to cut down the number of frames the device needs to write, both to save space on the storage media and time writing images. So in a VFR capture, the actual frames recorded per second at any time while recording is determined by how much motion the device 'sees' occurring.

The more motion, the more frames. So if nothing is moving, fewer frames are recorded than the 'set' frame rate. For example, my Samsung phone when set for "30fps" can drop to as few as 25.4fps when I check the file.

But if there's some sudden motion, the frame rate can instantly jump to as much as 31.2fps ... again, while the phone is set to 30fps.

So even a relatively short file can have a wide variance of how many frames are recorded at any one moment.

And you need to convert the VFR to CFR, and not that many apps can actually do that. Which is why the users here so often recommend Handbrake. It is one of the few that does, it does it well, and it's free.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I've downloaded Handbrake but I have no idea what setting to change to make it CFR. I actually had to look up CFR because I had no idea what it meant. Whatever the regular setting is, it didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a graphic with some suggestions ...

Neil

Handbrake Settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are SO kind. Trying it again with your suggestions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the button to click, but it still didnt work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to both click the button for CFR and set a specific number value in the frame-rate options. As all things that have a red highlight next to them are needed. For that clip, I needed 29.97, but much of what I work with is straight 24fps. Whatever you need for the fps, set that specific number.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your help and suggestions. I truly did try everything. Ultimately since I'm working with a lot of short clips I decided it would just be quicker to re-shoot everything with my DSLR. Somehow these files are corrupted or otherwise unusable. I can watch them, but even trying a million different ways with Handbrake, Premiere Pro does not acknowledge the video. Someone suggested I should work with Final Cut instead. I use my iPhone a lot and this problem is not something I want to have to keep dealing with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of timeline that does not allow clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No video icon, only audio. Cannot drag video to timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after trying everything with multiple unusable videos....Premiere is still giving me the big no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These were the last settings I tried. I give up. Going to try to screen record the videos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the TIMELINE

unknow files.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a technical person (even though chances are I've had computers longer than many people here - going back to the Kaypro days ;). I know you're trying to help me, and I really appreciate it, but it's taking more time to do this than to just switch to Final Cut. Screenshots are .png and I'm dragging and dropping them. Premiere is not allowing me to use my DSLR videos either and maybe the problem is just Premiere. If everyone is shooting on an iPhone, why exclude iPhone videos? Why then even remove the earlier versions of Premiere that allowed iPhone videos? I'm thinking maybe Adobe is only for professionals, not for amateur/everyday people like me, which is fine. This is just an unboxing video. It's just fashion stuff. I have teens. I have dogs. I'm an artist. I'm not a professional videographer. I don't have time to learn anything beyond the basics. I need simple drag and drop video, basic transitions and titles, and audio importing (yes, I liked iMovie 😱, that's all I needed). I need to find something a little more intuitive and less technical.

But I REALLLLLY appreciate your trying to help me. 😘

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You managed to make screenshots before. It's not difficult to make one of the timeline and post it in a slight different way, so we don't have to download unknown files.

And yes Premiere Pro has a steep learning curve. It's aimed at the professional world and advanced hobbyists.

If you don't have the time to learn anything new then iMovie might be best for you.

This was one of the first computer my husbands started with.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super cool! Love the pic. My 17 year old builds computers for fun and he's laughing at me...but he's not having the same problem with his older Mac and the same camera (and he's not helping, either). Is it possible this issue is related to the new chip? 

The timeline looks normal, except I get the hand with the x through it when I try to drag and and drop the video. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just humor me and post the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol! 

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 3.46.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 3.46.21 PM.png

Funny how much easier it is to post a screenshot when I actually, *sigh*, read your simple instructions 🤦🏻‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well as I suspected: it's all in the source patching.

afbeelding.png

Most common user error is not source patching the track.
Solved by first opening clip in Source Monitor, (set in and out point if necessary). Then drag/insert into timeline.

source patching.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally had a moment to sit and see what youve suggested and unfortunately you think you caught the problem (aha! basic error!) but you did not.  I absoluetly have been source patching. I had just reopened the app when I took the screenshot.

I have been saying that I cannot drag the video into the timeline (a few videos will go into the timeline, but import only as a photo) and have been clipping the videos. 

Maybe next time tell me what specifically you want to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If one asks for screenshot one assumes it shows the actual issue and not some random situation.

Make a screen recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding converting iPhone video for use in Premiere Pro:

If you're running macOS, right-click the file and choose Encode Selected Video Files.  When the encode dialog box apppears, I recommend that you choose Apple ProRes.  That's a CODEC that's meant for editing.

macOS - Right-click video file - Services - Encode Selected Video Files - ProRes.png

You could also consider using FilmicPro.  That app has higher end settings (but larger files) for shooting video on an iPhone than the Camera app does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines