Highlighted

I can't move clips at timeline

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, suddenly I can't move clips at timeline in any project. I put the selection tool and nothing. Someone know?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Katie_Houghton | Adobe Community Professional
  1. Is your track locked? no then...
  2. Reset your preferences:

1. Exit the application

2. Press and hold Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) as you start Premiere. Release the Alt keys or Option key when the splash screen appears.

3. To restore default preference settings and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Shift-Alt (Windows) or Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting. Release the Shift-Alt keys or Shift-Option key when the splash screen appears.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I can't move clips at timeline

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, suddenly I can't move clips at timeline in any project. I put the selection tool and nothing. Someone know?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Katie_Houghton | Adobe Community Professional

1. Exit the application

2. Press and hold Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) as you start Premiere. Release the Alt keys or Option key when the splash screen appears.

3. To restore default preference settings and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Shift-Alt (Windows) or Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting. Release the Shift-Alt keys or Shift-Option key when the splash screen appears.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Exit the application

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldnt move any clips around in the timeline either so i reset my default pref. after doing this I couldnt move my clips and also couldnt see my clips playing in the source or program monitor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is quitting and restarting seriously the only way to get the clips to move?

My problem is that the clips will move — but I lose the ability to see the actual clip slide along the timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Katie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help!  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem!

I've tried Katie's 3 steps but still can't move clips in the timeline.

Premiere was working fine yesterday..

Does anyone know anything else I should try?

I'm on a new Mac and using Premiere 11.0 (2017.1.2)

Thanks,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm having this same issue, then I use SINGLE track select tool to move a series of stills, everything looks stuck and doesn't move. When I use ALL tracks select tool, everything moves as expected.

I can use that as a workaround I guess, but it then adds the labor of locking/unlocking tracks and those lock icons are real tiny when I have my screen resolution dialed up on these fancy monitors.

I followed the advice of restarting premier with the option key to wipe preferences, and this has not helped.

cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of your timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's moved around now, I'm on  deadline. it was a real basic assembly though, nothing complex at all (one audio track with a series of stills in sequence on the video layer)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A>Restart your computer, check.

B>Reset your preferences:

1. Exit the application

2. Rename the Premiere Pro Folder in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro

3. Launch the application

C>Open the application in safe mode and check.

It could be a permissions issue so you can also try in a new user account if the issue still persists.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines