I can't open my Premiere Pro project

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am new to video editing. I have pulled in a number of clips, done some basic editing and then tried to export.  After a few seconds I received a "Not Responding" and then export options screen didn't even come up.  PC was stuck and all I could do is force a shutdown.  Even that took over a minute.

Rebooted and now I go and open my project file and immediately get "Not Responding" and I can't do a thing with the project.

As I write this, I am trying to Open my Settings and I can't even do that.  I can't even click on the Windows icon in the bottom-left corner.  Seems like something pretty bad has happened.  I'm going to have to hold the power button until the computer shuts down.

Can anyone please give me an idea of what "may" have gone wrong?

I am running 16Gb RAM with an i7 processor.  Can't tell you anymore as I can't check my System Settings!!!!

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do not double click your project file, just open premiere pro, and as soon as you click to start launching on the splash screen hold ALT until premiere pro launches and your preferences will be trashed(reset)

after that clean your media cache from Preferences - Media and delete all the preview files associated to the project you were working on, you should be able to find a folder called 'video previews' where you set your scratch disks...

maybe it is a problem related to your gfx card, try to update it from the vendor's website.. if you can tell us which one you have we will be able to offer more help... check your renderer from project settings, what do you have?

try to open your project, if the problem persists after doing all of the above, try to open another version of your project if you have one in the autosave folder..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

I followed your recommendations above and opened, from the Auto Save, the version prior to the latest one I had and it is behaving itself.  Thank you so very much.  Please see my reply to Ann Bens below for the rest of the solution that I reached.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Nvidia card: Make sure you have the latest Nvidia STUDIO driver installed, not the Game driver.

NVIDIA Studio Driver | 460.89 | Windows 10 64-bit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
peterp78895938 AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann and thank you for your advice.  I downloaded the file that you linked and tried installing.  The process uninstalled my current driver and went about 30% into the new install and it came up with a fail message.  The message was only on my screen for a moment before the screen went all black and I couldn't do a thing apart from a hard reboot.  I did this and went to Device Manager and installed a NVIDIA driver dated 30 Nov 2020 (I think).  

I then went and followed the advice of Carlos (see above) and I am currently back into my project.

I am still feeling uneasy about the whole experience, but I'll see how I go.

Thank you for your help....it is very much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines