• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I just want SUPER BASIC fades!!!!

Explorer ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has already been explained. I went through a bunch of posts and didn't see it, so here goes...

I have 2 projects that have a bunch of different video clips. All I want is for the first clip to fade in smoothly from black, the middle clips to fade into and out from black at each joint, and the final clip to fade into black. THAT'S IT!
I have changed the mercury setting and the linear composit already and that did nothing. The only other thing I've seen but haven't tried is adding  a black video between all my clips. This sounds ridiculous to have to do thuogh since Adobe Premier is supposed to be so awesome. I am a complete rookie at any sort of editing, so help is appreciated!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be using the Dip to Black transition, under Video Transitions - Dissolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Putting that between clips, as advised, with a 4 second duration, creates this weird outcome where it flashes back, goes back to the clip, the abruptly fades. It does the same to the following clip, except in reverse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dip to black as a single sided transition only works correctly if End is set to 50%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off Composite in Linear color in the Sequence Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot timeline where you want dissolves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A_Sticks_0-1620773447385.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get a sec, here's the link to the video so you can see what I'm talking about. Here's a screenshot of what the project looks like too. This is for a group project and I've never done this before, so I am entirely lost on what the fix is. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eE9tSmBu5aPt0rY8rR7Z50HaBt1aDnw7/view?usp=sharing

A_Sticks_0-1620801038984.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always put a black layer on V1 and just do single ended fades on the clips above, checkerboard style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do something similar to Richard.  If I'm using 15 frame fade outs and in, I create a 1 second clip of black directly on a video track above the cut point and either add dissolves in and out or keyframe the opacity.  you can then simply copy the clip from the timeline whenever you want to fade out and in...  This also allows me to have multiple video tracks below the black clip and it applys the fade out fade in to the composited video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the response. It looks to me like Adobe has no real solution in their highly touted editing software without their customers having to create ridiculous workarounds. It's frustrating, partly because I have never edited before these two projects so having to learn all these funky extra steps just to get an extremely basic transition effect is wild to me. Ya know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well applying a dip to black works just fine for me.    Could be there's something dicey with your media.  by any chance are you working with screen recordings or material shot on a smartphone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all 4k clips from a stock website!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMovie can do this instantly for free if you own an iPhone or a Mac. Here's a link to a how-to article that does just what you want. Very basic.  Very easy. 

Fade through clips in iMovie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, one of the very few times I wished I owned a Mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You put one long black clip along the entire length, or you only put a black clip over where the transitions start and end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

were you asking me?  I usually create a short clip of black and place it on a video track directly over the section I want to dip to black and then add dissolves to the beginning and end of the clip.  I can then copy that clip with the dissolves and paste it directly over any other places I want to dip to black....  very quick and as I said, it makes things much simpler if I've got a few video tracks that I've composited that I need to fade out...    but as I said, the dip to black effect in effects:  video transitions  also works for me.   

Wondering if there's some issue with your graphics card or the drivers for the graphics card.  Might help if you tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  If this was a bug in the software, I think we would have had many posts about it...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put black video on a track above the clip(s) and keyframe the opacity of the black video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the response. It looks to me like Adobe has no real solution in their highly touted editing software without their customers having to create ridiculous workarounds. It's frustrating, partly because I have never edited before these two projects so having to learn all these funky extra steps just to get an extremely basic transition effect is wild to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get a sec, here's the link to the video so you can see what I'm talking about. Here's a screenshot of what the project looks like too. This is for a group project and I've never done this before, so I am entirely lost on what the fix is. Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eE9tSmBu5aPt0rY8rR7Z50HaBt1aDnw7/view?usp=sharing

A_Sticks_0-1620801038984.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diagonal lines on a transition means frames are repeated mostly cause by not having handles.

Those pink clips won't do any good.

If you want Dip to Black (or any transition)  between clips you to trim the clips first.

clip handles.png

Please read this doc on how transitions work in Premiere Pro

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/transition-overview-applying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to trim (make handles) and use the entire clip:

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no transitions on the actual clip itself? Using the 2 transitions on the black clip will perform the fade on the main video clip? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can:

A transition on the end of the first clip and a transition on the beginning of the second clip.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offering an alternative solution, you could use ezgif to create a new file that's just the last frame or last few frames, and crossfade it (still with ezgif) with a black image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines