Highlighted

I'm having trouble with subtitles

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I want to put captions at two points in my video. So I created a caption, CEA-708 Service 1, made sure the settings in the monitor have enabled showing captions, OK, it shows the caption in the monitor (although not in the playback display... whatever). 

This is the first time I've tried using captions but the whole system seems nonsensical. Firstly, the "caption" I created specifies an In/Out time, yet it also seems to be able to be dragged and dropped onto the timeline just like a Title would be, yet this doesn't work. So I try to adjust the in/out time, but this doesn't seem to correspond with showing up in my video. I want to have multiple captions appear, yet when I click the plus button, it says I can't add one because there another caption already exists in the specified location, even though I don't have anything there! Can someone please explain simply how to use captions? It seems to be, so far, the most unintuitive and frustration inducing thing I've had to deal with in Premiere. 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I'm having trouble with subtitles

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I want to put captions at two points in my video. So I created a caption, CEA-708 Service 1, made sure the settings in the monitor have enabled showing captions, OK, it shows the caption in the monitor (although not in the playback display... whatever). 

This is the first time I've tried using captions but the whole system seems nonsensical. Firstly, the "caption" I created specifies an In/Out time, yet it also seems to be able to be dragged and dropped onto the timeline just like a Title would be, yet this doesn't work. So I try to adjust the in/out time, but this doesn't seem to correspond with showing up in my video. I want to have multiple captions appear, yet when I click the plus button, it says I can't add one because there another caption already exists in the specified location, even though I don't have anything there! Can someone please explain simply how to use captions? It seems to be, so far, the most unintuitive and frustration inducing thing I've had to deal with in Premiere. 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is not intuitive.

If you only have a few captions and you want to "burn in" your captions, just use regular graphics text and not the "Captioning" tool.

If you really need "closed captions" (608 or 708) for playback on a TV as actual closed captions, then yes, you need to learn how to use the captioning tool.

If you want a "sidecar" file (e.g. .srt or other to import to Youtube or whatever), you need to decide what type of caption stream you need (Open Captions, closed 608, closed 708, etc).

When using the captioning tool, one thing to remember is that the timecode in the caption panel is not the same as the timecode in the timeline, unless you position it so that it is. Generally you want to use one caption stream for your entire sequence.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0