• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I would like to understand ALL the PPro export options

Engaged ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once and for all I would like to understand all the PPro export options.  Can any one point me to a good source for that please?  I want to know what ALL options do, why, and what it means to use them or modify them.

Thanks !!

Also why we are at it, is there any concensus on export for Facebook?

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the way I did that a long time ago was to search on internet, ask people here about specific codecs and options for export, and teach myself. I printed out lots of stuff and made notebooks ( paper notebooks with those little tabs you put on paper to make 'sections' ). There is no single place to learn all that. In my case I learned enough to realize I'm an idiot.

Plus, this stuff is changing rapidly.

But it's great that you want to know... and I would maybe just focus on what you deal with in general. Like, if you shoot a certain camera, and export for a certain platform ( like facebook ) just ask about that specific stuff. Do the rest on your own, cause there is nothing in the world ( not even film school ) that will teach you all the rest.

keep being inquisitive ( as they say on PBS ).

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

down the rabbit hole...  all sorts of complications and issues and stuff to make you tear your hair out...  but the presets available in the export dialog (and in adobe media encoder) are a great place to start and if you start with the h264 format you'll find...  wait for it...  a readymade preset for facebook with options for different pixel dimensions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... that's a big ask :). Export options out of PPro cover multiple codecs, frame rates, frame sizes, data rates, codec profiles and bit levels. As Salvo34 suggests there's no one source for all this. Start by asking the first question you want answered and go from there!

... consensus on Facebook exports? A TV network I work for simply outputs all their social media stuff for Facebook using the Facebook preset in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder the encode looks good. And then Facebook will crunch it down to crap on upload anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and always test your workflow...  The presets in premiere are a good place to start.  I had to deliver a piece for uploading to instagram recently.  I did a fair amount of googling and got what someone said with great authority were the ideal pixel dimensions for instagram.  guess what?  they weren't.  I sent the client the file, he posted it and I thought I'd take a look. Of course, the client had never looked at it after he posted it.  The titles were cut off.  Did some more googling and figure out the right pixel dimensions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ha, funny story.

I've been building just a reference table for this, because pretty much hoping someone (like you) may find it useful one day. I'm posting it over on the r/premiere subreddit eventually (as I've been trying to build some more references / resources over there). It's not quite done yet, but I'll show a sneak peek with this link here: https://www.reddit.com/r/premiere/wiki/guides/formats

That said... it's not going to deep dive into every option, every codec, etc. It would just be too much. That said, it will give folks an overview of what exactly is X format, and what is it typically used for, and could be used to springboard into more research on each format... if that's something you really want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines