• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iMac power off unexpectedly when using Premiere Pro 2020

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having this problem while using Premiere Pro 2019 to 2020. My iMac is 2019 Intel i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 48. The problem appears about 6 months ago, After contacted apple for a few times, they agree to replace the logic board and the graphic card. But unfortunately, the problem still exist. The only thing I didn't replace are the OWC 64 GB RAM and my external harddrive (G-Raid Thunderbolt 3 20TB). Is there any chance that causing the problem? The strange thing is the iMac only shut down while using PrPro, NOT After Effects, photoshop or FCPX, when the iMac is idle while PrPro app was opened, it didn't unexpectedly shut down. Thanks.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said "while using Premiere Pro" and when "the iMac is idle while PrPro app was opened".

I understand that to mean that if you start Pr and don't do anything in the app and just let it sit idle, everything is fine.

The question is what exactly were you doing when Pr shut down? Were you importing files? Trimming clips? Adding media to the timeline? Exporting? 

Maybe if we can isolate the shutdown to specific activities, we can pinpoint the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no specific action causing the shut down, sometimes just editing, playing the timeline or clips, sometimes exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Then I recommend stress testing your onboard memory.

I'd also disconnect your external drive and create a new, small Pr test project that only uses media on your internal drive. That would help isolate/eliminate the external drive as the source of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. "disconnect your external drive and..." Try that before and it works fine, but I didn't test extensively so I may try again. But I suspected that it isn't the problem of the external HD, as I have another 2015 i7 iMac, I  connected to it and it works fine. Someone on Apple Support Communities recommend an app called "Etrecheck" to help diagnos the problems of Mac computer. Is it trustable? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tested the app extensively and found out that if I open Premiere, open a project and then switch "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal)" to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" (Go to File>Project Settings>General>Video Rendering and Playback>Renderer), the shutdown problem was solved. I've used this method for a day's work and no problems found, but if I turn on GPU Acceleration then the iMac will power-off itself in few minutes. About 2 months ago, I had my iMac's logic board replaced due to this problem because I thought there's a faulty graphics card (AMD Radeon Pro Vega 48), but its still happening after the replacement, so I guess that the problems are caused by the AMD Radeon graphics card and Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines