• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import from DVD created 2004 to convert to Digital file format

Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to convert some DVD disks created in 2004 \and convert them to digital files format?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1
TOPICS
Formats , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first question is are these copy protected disks?  Try using handbrake 

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

to "rip" the dvd's.    if they're not copyprotected, you might do somewhat better with mpegstreamclip

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

but it's become more problematic in recent mac os's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disks are created by me personally, I just wish to convert to a digital file type.

I will have a look at the second link you attached. Thanks. for the prompt response.

Do I need to copy the disk to the computer HDD then try to import it?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not usually need to copy your DVDs to your hard drive prior to ripping the VIDEO_TS data; however, it would not hurt.  You'd have a backup on your drive and the rip will go faster when you do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these are "movie" discs with VOB files

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon
-https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/I-have-a-DVD-and-would-like-to-make-mpeg-clips-of-parts-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Premiere Pro supports importing the DVD-Video data structure directly, it's usually slow and clunky, and depending on how it was authored may not play from start to finish as it does from the disc.

Consider using Mac DVDRipper Pro (https://www.macdvdripperpro.com) to convert the VIDEO_TS data structure to MP4 that can more easily be imported into a Premiere Pro project.  The trial version will do 5 DVDs.  I haven't used it under macOS 11.1 Big Sur, but the website says that there are "no known issues at the moment".  Another thing I really like about this application is that it recognizes a Sonata_Volume that Sony DVD recorders created when recording to DVD-R.  This format was designed to allow us to play what we've recorded to disc while making it nearly impossible to copy or rip. 

DVDxDVPro is my preferred conversion application as it allows us to set in and out points, queue up multiple sections and convert to DV-NTSC or Apple ProRes; however, it doesn't run on anything newer than macOS High Sierra 10.13 and the publisher is not planning an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Warren, I will check that app it may meet my needs.

Worked fine, just what I needed. So guess I can now do some editing in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes

Just wanted to offer a tip for you... Generaly, DVD video was stored very compressed, and low bit rate.  I have bene using a product called Topaz Video Enhance AI (Version 1.8.1 currently) and it works miracles with low quality footage to convert it to higher quality.  It has some impressive tools to remove JPEG artificacts/blocks and it can literaly improve the quality of the video.  I think you can download it try a sample.

I have been usign this tool to convert everythign from 3GP (Old blackberry video) and a DVD video I also created for myself in 1998 to 4k video.  While it doesnt work on Interlaced footage, I used premier to deinterlace it, then ran it through Topaz Video Enhance and they look very really nice.  In some cases I converted up to either 4k or 8k, and then scaled them back down on export with premier, they seemed to look better often doign that.

The process is slow I will warn you,  for example my RTX3090 takes 0.34 seconds per frame.  But for my old family movies it was worth it.   Anyways, If you were not aware of this option, just wanted to bring it to your attention...

I also use the software when need Warp Stabilize,  if you ever use WS, it can be very handy too.  I let WS do its thing, but I do not let it autozoom the footage, only crop,  I then take that footage and use a 'custom scale' number in Topaz, and it brings it back to full frame size and looks very good.

( Hopefully Adobe brings somethign like this to Premier,  with the new super resulation in Photo Shop, it might be close 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topaz offers some really amazing graphics software.

What impresses me the most with Topaz Video Enhance AI is how well it does with up-converting picture with type and logos rendered into it.  As a general rule for up-conversion, I make a best effort to up-convert textless picture and recreate text or graphics at the up-converted resolution.  

It's probably worth mentioning that Topaz makes their software available for trial use so users can test it for system compatablity, quality and speed.  Also, Topaz does not offer conversion from DVD to a digital video format.  You'd use it after doing that conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just downloaded the latest version 1.9.0 and it now has specific VHS + DVD upscale, with de interlace.  I dont have that footage  hanging around, but this will be helpfull.  

As a side note, I have a project I decided to redo the the 480i to 4k conversation.  The new Engines were improved so much, that that the 5 days this project takes to redo to conversation is work it...    Really nice improvement of late with that tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines