• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import transparent?

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a ton of webm files that have alpha channels and work in OBS and a friend made a transparent video frame with smoke over it for us to use that does indeed have an alpha channel but when I import it to premiere pro, it doesn't have an alpha channel. I had to install fnord's webm for premiere pro plugin to even import the webm but even so, I cannot use/import any videos with alpha.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this working? I find it ridiculous that I've already spent a whole day looking for a solution with still no results. You'd think such a great video editor would have no problem doing this. 😕

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In doing some testing, it appears Premiere does not support reading WebM alpha channels. Bringing in a Webm with an alpha, Premiere reports it does not have an alpha. Even Mediainfo does not detect the alpha channel.

This is not due to a Premiere shortcoming, but an issue with the fNord Webm plugin.

However, Premiere (with the plugin) can properly export to WebM with an alpha channel.

OBS does correctly read the WebM alpha channels.

The WebM-Premiere plugin has not been updated since 2017. You can try to contact the developer here: https://github.com/fnordware/AdobeWebM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to contact them but that doesn't seem like it'll lead to much sadly. There has to be another method to allow this though, it doesn't make sense not to lol. Do you know of any other methods or work arounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not support WebM. The plugin does. This isn't something Adobe can fix. What sort of work around are you looking for? I would simply use another Alpha-capable format that is natively supported by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for literally any XD What other alpha capable formats does premiere natively support? I feel like this is something adobe can fix with their multiple millions of dollors and the face they created the software though if they really wanted to. Okay maybe not "fix" but integrate into support lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GoPro Cineform codec supports alpha, as does ProRes4444 and DNxHD.

I don't think it's fair for you to use a third party plugin, have that plugin fail, then blame Adobe. Adobe has never natively supported Webm and to assume they should "fix" something from another developer seems a bit presumptious. Regardless of how many "millions" they have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ou neat I'll look into that and see if I can convert the footage to those 😄

and im not blaiming adobe for the plugin, I'm stating Premiere Pro and After Effects should support as many formats as possible since it is a professional video editor and I'm not saying adobe has to "fix" anything I'm simply stating it's surprising that they do not support this format natively because it's a limitation that doesn't have to there and is rather frustrating to have such a limitation when the software costs so much. My post's main point has nothing to do with the plugin, I'm merely stating that is what I used since it does not support it natively and I wish it did and am looking for any work around to be able to use my footage in premiere since it is my favorite video editor and what I know best. My point is as the creators of premiere pro it couldn't be that hard for them to add/develop the ability for the software to support more formats including webm with alpha. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying. Here's a list of the formats they DO support: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/supported-file-formats.html

However, just because you WANT them to support a file type doesn't mean they do, or can, or will. It's not up to you or I to determine "it couldn't be that hard to add it." If it wasn't hard, I'm sure they would have. If it wasn't hard, I bet the developer of that plugin would have it fixed by now too. So I'm guessing it's harder than we thought and Adobe doesn't want to release half baked support (like fNord).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet Ty! and I'm aware XD I can still wish though no? That's also a fair point

I still need to look into that GoPro Cineform codec though, sounds like it may be my best option atm. Just need to figure out how to convert the footage to it. Thanks again for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this work? DId you ever find a solution? I to have quite a bit of transparent webm files I am struggling to add on to because of adobe premium and this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what worked for me. I did this to make some changes to a short effects webm that had audio and used in OBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufdGUllU2qc

I installed the webm plugin.
Did the linked tutorial to convert to frames with FFMPEG and import frames as sequence.
If the webm has audio, I am able to import original webm after importing the converted frames from the tutorial I linked.
Discard the video imported from the webm. Keep the audio and align it with the imported frames.
Do all the editing I want. Then export webm. It keeps transparency and audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines