• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported SRTs--caption blocks misaligned/show time marker where gaps in audio are present (Pr 2021)

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I import an SRT file (downloaded from services like 3Play and HappyScribe), those portions of the video with silence have the next caption block--reflecting resumption in the dialog--misaligned with the silence instead. All other blocks are perfectly in place

Also, as shown in the screenshot, the timestamp text is part of the caption itself.

This has been a consistent behavior and only happens in Premiere (2020 and 2021) wherever audio gaps occur--no matter the duration of the silence.  Importing the same SRT files into other apps and video platforms works perfectly.  

The good news is that it is editable--realigning the caption block and removing its timestamp text.  But I would certainly like to avoid searching for these hiccups each time I import an SRT.  Does anyone know of a way to prevent this from happening in the first place?  Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I did not get around to responding to this. It has been one of many tabs open in my browser since you posted it! And I don't understand your problem is happening.

I hear what you are saying: it works this way in the new caption workflow in PR2021 and before. It is consistent. And it happens in srt files from at least 2 different subtitling services.

Is there something special about the silences you describe? Periods without dialogue are common, and I have never had this happen.

Also, logically, I don't see how PR could do this. When you import srt, in PR2021 or before, PR is not looking at the audio and doesn't know whether there is silence or not. The problems that do happen are sometimes hard to track down. Possibilities include a problem with the formatting of the file (generally, I think, PR is looking for a text file as UTF8 with BOM), an extra line that throws off the formatting, nonprinting unicode characters, and similar. 

Are you editing the file at all before importing it?

In the screenshot, it appears this happened at the very first subtitle. Can you paste here the contents of the srt from the beginning to the third subtitle?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines