• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: The File Cannot Be Opened Because of a Header Error

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to import your image(s) to Premiere Pro? Does “The File Cannot Be Opened Because of a Header Error” pop up? Adobe Expert, Jens Trimmer, created an article and video containing fixes for the issue. Check these out.

Here's Jens' updated troubleshooting guide if you run into the error:

https://videowithjens.com/premiere-pro-the-file-cannot-be-opened-because-of-a-header-error/

Jens also made a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpyTbWZWJ8

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 159 Replies 159
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on my mac, and for me it helped to click in Textedit on format, convert to plain text. Then it saves the text as a .txt instead of a .rtf, and if you change the extention from .txt to .srt and PremierePro will understand it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited a short film in Premiere.  In order to make a DCP I exported the picture as a jpeg sequence.  I wanted to put it back into Premiere so I could watch it and make sure there are no problems, but when I try to import it I get the following error message:  The file cannot be opened because of a header error.

Elsewhere I have seen the advice to import the jpegs into photoshop and re export them, but I have over 12000 of them, so this isnt a great solution.

Anyone know what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import an MP4 into Premiere Pro & have never seen this error before - The File cannot be opened because of a header Error 

Screenshot attached. I've tried converting the file in Handbrake to see if I can then import that version, same error. I've seen a lot of suggested fixes for photos importing into PP, but this is a video (MP4)

Is there a fix for this? It's a simple interview clip downloaded from web, something I've done 1000x not sure how to fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Handbrake does not fix it I don't know what will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI All,

I am getting an error while trying to import a .wmv file.

The message says: The file cannot be opened because of a header error

Does anyone know exactly what this means and a possible solution?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File is corrupted

See if https://handbrake.fr/ open source transcoder/converter will read the file, and output a new file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Handbrake option worked! Thank you for suggesting that. I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked... file corruption issues can be hard to fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. But if I click and drag the file in to the project panel, the sound is cut out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue, changed file type to AVI from WMV and it worked perfectly.  Just the same as some who had issues with jpegs changed to bmp's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I imported .avi video file into Premiere Pro CS6, only the audio played. I used VLC to convert the .avi file to .mp4 through a batch file. Now when I try to open the .mp4 file into Premiere Pro CS6, I receive an error "File cannot be opened because of a header error".

I've tried converting the .avi file to .mov and .wav but they receive the same header error.

I've also tried opening in Audition and resaving it as .wav pc but it still won't import to Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, depending on what is inside the AVI file, it should/might be "naturally" supported by Premiere

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

Also, for the future when you post...

More information needed for someone to help... please click these links and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-Effective questions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

-How to get help quickly http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419406

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bcarl222 wrote:

When I imported .avi video file into Premiere Pro CS6, only the audio played. I used VLC to convert the .avi file to .mp4 through a batch file. Now when I try to open the .mp4 file into Premiere Pro CS6, I receive an error "File cannot be opened because of a header error".

I've tried converting the .avi file to .mov and .wav but they receive the same header error.

I've also tried opening in Audition and resaving it as .wav pc but it still won't import to Premiere.

Do you use the correct setting to convert videos to mp4?Sometimes, I get the idea, that I use the wrong settings made the video stop, and start to buffer again. I hope you guys understand what I mean...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post 3 shows you how to convert with the vlc player.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1149978?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVI is not a good editable format for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, if you wanna a smooth editing, you can encode the avi files first. As far as I know, MPEG is good format for Adobe with relatively small video size. There's a relevant threat talks about the AVI to Premiere Pro CS5/CS6 issue and offers the final solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPEG is compressed and is not as good to edit as AVI - Why not edit mpeg http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/edit.html

The OP (Original Poster) still has not come back with information about what is inside the problem AVI files... so we need to wait for more information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Premiere Pro CS6 is compatible with AVI. Maybe the issue is caused by the video codec of AVI file.

If you want to convert AVI to Premiere supported MP4 format, you may prefer to give this step by step tutorial a try.

It will tell you how to convert AVI to MP4, MOV, FLV, SWF, etc. Very userful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to import an SRT file, I get the error: “This file cannot be opened because of a header error”

Anyone know a fix for this? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BuiltThisCityProductions,

I am sorry that you are not able to import SRT files into Premiere Pro.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error message when importing an .srt file that I had made by hand.

The error message has nothing to do with the header of the file or the format of the .srt.

When only a single subtitle has a duration of 00:00:00,000 Premiere Pro fails to import it.

The solution is to edit the file in a text editor and inspect it whether any of the lines have a duration that looks inconsistent. (overlapping or very short length do not matter). Then correct the file an save it with UTF-8 encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had the same issue and the YouTube trick is too much complicated.

The main reason why Premiere does not import the SRT file is that it recognises only text files saved with Windows and not with macOS's TextEdit. The latter encodes slightly differently the line breaks.

Here's the method that works all the time: just open the SRT file in BBEDIT (the app is free forever despite the message proposing you to pay to unlock advanced features but you don't need them) and Save As... and be sure to use the following options.

And if the last subtitle does not appear, just add an extra one with dummy content.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 09.32.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the solution for me, thank you! I wonder why Apple / Adobe don't address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this but BBEDIT wont open the SRT file. It's greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have just moved over from Mac back to PC and traded in iMovie and Final Cut for the Adobe software and am going through the most immense growing pains.

I am trying to import 4 JPG files into Adobe to no avail - It comes up with an Import Failure Header Error . I have tried re-saving them as a jpg from photo editing software as recommended by other forums and this has not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the pics are saved using RGB and not CMYK color

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines