Highlighted

importing AVCHD footage in premiere pro 14.3.2

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to better undertand how the AVCHD file format works.

I'm importing footage into Premiere Pro. If I select the AVCHD file it tells me the file format is unsupported. I have to go into the BMDV folder, then into the STREAM folder and select clips to import. This works fine, but.......Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyat purpose do those other folders have if I can't import them? Am I missing information that Premiere is going to need futher along in the editing process if I just import clips from the STREAM folder?

thanks!

TOPICS
Formats, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

importing AVCHD footage in premiere pro 14.3.2

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to better undertand how the AVCHD file format works.

I'm importing footage into Premiere Pro. If I select the AVCHD file it tells me the file format is unsupported. I have to go into the BMDV folder, then into the STREAM folder and select clips to import. This works fine, but.......Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyat purpose do those other folders have if I can't import them? Am I missing information that Premiere is going to need futher along in the editing process if I just import clips from the STREAM folder?

thanks!

TOPICS
Formats, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much AVCHD media is recorded to card with the video files in short-ish chunks 'spanned' to others for each clip that was shot in-camera. One "clip" is actually typically several files that must be strung together in playback. Plus, the audio is often in a different folder than the video, not part of the video file. Yea, this can be a mess to work with.

By far the safest, most reliable to ingest this media is to copy the entire card file structure to a drive on your computer. Then use Premiere's MediaBrowser panel to navigate to those folders, and select/import the media. It tends to sort things out pretty good, and tracks things into project metadata.

Other methods to import AVCHD into Premiere may work ... sort of at least ... but may have issues down the line. Files getting "relinked" to the wrong file, that sort of thing.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and be aware that "spanned" clips can cause issues if you're exporting your timeline for color correction in DaVinci Resolve.  There's something to be said to convert the spanned clips to a format like prores that combines all the parts of spanned clips into a single file in which each frame is discreet unlike avchd and other mpeg formats in which for example, the first frame and 15th frame (i-frames) are discreet complete frames and the frame in between consist of the differences between the "i-frames".  Mpeg files are much smaller than prores files but are much more processor intensive particularly when you start adding effects.   Might be worthwhile to do some googling and if you have any questions, post back...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020 0