Importing by drag & drop a file on external display makes my whole system crash.

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem occurs both on my desktop and laptop when external displays are connected and trying to drag a file on an explorer window displayed on an external monitor to a Premiere Pro window displayed on the primary monitor. When the file-attached mouse cursor reaches to PPro window the whole system stops responding except a cursor and reboots after a while. BSOD is displayed sometimes.

This does not always happen. It occurs when the project is somewhat complexed or has many items imported.

desktop:
CPU: i9-10900k
GPU: RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB
display: primary (3840*2160), secondary (1920*1080), The primary monitor is scaled to 125% by windows display settings.

laptop:
CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti
RAM: 32GB
display: primary (1920*1080, internal), secondary (1920*1080)

both on my desktop and laptop:
The operating system and all source files are stored in SSDs. Chipset driver and graphics driver are installed and up to date. Premiere Pro v14.9 is installed.

TOPICS
Crash, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Media Browser instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ann is, as always, correct.

Premiere does not necessarily get the metadata from a file properly ensconced into the internal databases when you do drag/drop from Finder/Explorer. At the least, right-click in the Program monitor and select "import" ... but the vastly more stable method is to use the Media Browser.

And ... for many people ... once you learn how to set folder locations as a 'favorite' it's very fast to import/ingest media that way.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines