Importing HDV tape - confusing file extensions

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm importing HDV footage into Premiere and it's creating files with .ac3 and xmp extenstions. The imported files load into Premiere and I can see video and audio. Where is the .mov file? 

I'm just trying to archive the footage in highest quality for future use, and need it to be accessable to other editing programs (Resolve, FCPX, Avid).  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Editing, Formats, Import

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you importing?  Or are you capturing?  2 different things.   xmp files are metadata files and you can turn them off in the preferences: media.    Don't think I've done any capturing from hdv in premiere (luckily haven't had to work with this format for a long time - it's not a fun format) , but had to do some work on a legacy project a few months ago with minidv tapes and premiere captured as quicktime files with uncompressed audio embedded in the quicktime (Hopefully I'm remembering correctly - I can check if it's important).    

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Marcus,

Which OS are you using? If on macOS, here is a KB doc for you: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/upcoming-changes-GPU-DV-HDV-support.html#ChangestoDVHDVsup...

Thanks,
Kevin

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to play it in DR, FCPX and Avid. If the video codec is listed as MPEG 2 I think it will be OK.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines