importing JPEG problem

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have multiple jpegs images that I can't import, while others work. the error massage states: "the file cannot be opened because of a header error". 
Is there a solution?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the files open in Photoshop?

If yes, do a resave out of Photoshop and see if that fixes the problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of the "save it as a psd photo" solution (I even converted one online and it worked) HOWEVER i do not own a photoshop licence (only a premiere one)
So the real question is: am i expected to pay more money in order to use the softwere im already paying for...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, are any difference between the jpges? Or are they all basically the same kind of file? Do the problem jpegs open correctly in Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are the same kind (jpegs). again, I don't have Photoshop licence, only a premiere one

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see. After reading the other response, no, you really shouldn't be expected to pay more money to use the software that you're already paying for. That's so strange that some of the jpegs work, while others of the same kind work perfectly fine. That's why I was curious if the problematic jpegs work in another application. Can you just use the built-in Mac/Windows app to view the jpegs just to confirm that they work?

This is going to sound random...but what happens if you transfer the jpegs to another drive, rename the files, and then import them into your project? I would recommend just trying a few of the problematic ones to see. I feel like I had a similar issue once, and I somehow thought to try this. Might be a longshot, but worth a try.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, thanks for your responce. The jpegs do open correctly with the built in app on my mac. I tried what you suggested (transfaring to another drive) and it did not work (same error message). I guess Adobe should look into it, maybe install an option to convert jpegs so that they will fit in without Photoshop use. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently you have some still image editing app available. The standard suggestion here is 'use Photoshop' because the majority of users have a full CC license and therefore all CC apps are available to them.

So use the still image editing app you do have available and resave the jpegs, noting that they are in sRGB and not ProPhoto, AdobeRGB or CMYK spaces.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the jpeg in a free photo application and resave it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines