• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing large AVCHD files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Premiere Pro 2021 on a 2017 imac running Catalina, and I'm trying to import a large AVCHD file (about 10 gb).  It used to be that files this large would take just a minute or less to show up in the media browser, but now the program is just stuck forever.  I tried to find a solution online and saw that perhaps I could set up a proxy in the ingest settings, but that's not helping either.  Does anyone have a foolproof way to fix this? 

I think I can import the .mts files inside the AVCHD folder, but the issue there is that the whole file is just one hour-long recording, and when you edit the mts files together you get a little visual "hiccup."  Or, at least, that's been my experience in the past.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can import the .mts files inside the AVCHD folder, but the issue there is that the whole file is just one hour-long recording, and when you edit the mts files together you get a little visual "hiccup."  Or, at least, that's been my experience in the past.

By @kevinpnb

If you have the files in the untouched original folder structure and have not deleted any meta data files from the folders Premiere Pro will import those files as one (1) take without any "hiccup". Use Media Browser to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem.  I am using media browser to import but it's getting hung up and freezes every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem.  I am using media browser to import but it's getting hung up and freezes every time.

By @kevinpnb

My interpretation is that you get freezes everytime you try to import the 10 GB file, but you have not yet tried to import the several ~4 GB files that made up the 1 hour recording due to hiccups in the past. Try the latter instead of the 10 GB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but it still freezes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but it still freezes up.

By @kevinpnb

O.k, what happens if you use Finder and manually navigate to the STREAM folder were the .MTS files are and move one file? It has a path that looks something like this: G:\ProjectName\MemoryCard\Card_01\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

Inside the STREAM folder you will find all .MTS files. Copy let´s say 00002.MTS and paste it to the desktop and when done, go to File > Import > Media in Premiere Pro and try to import the file you pasted to your desktop.

If it works, try this: FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere Pro and try to import either the 10 GB file again or use the Media Browser to import directly from the card structure. The latter is recommended though stitching all files manually work as well but comes with some disadvantages.

If it don´t work, reset the Preferences anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences but that didn't do anything.   It does appear that importing from the desktop works, but I don't want 10gb files having to stay on my desktop.  I had always been transferring the files from the memory card to an external drive and that was never a problem until recently. I'm thinking there has to be another fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had always been transferring the files from the memory card to an external drive and that was never a problem until recently. I'm thinking there has to be another fix.

By @kevinpnb

That points to an issue with the external drive or it´s connection, so that´s what to fix.

Start with the basics, use the Disc Utility and try to repair the disc: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines