Highlighted

Importing .mp4 files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nothing much more I can say than the title. I'm trying to work with some .mp4 format files a friend supplied and when I try to import them to my workspace, I get an error saying the file has an unsupported compression type. How can I find out what that type is, and how can I go about changing the file to something that premiere can work with?

Topics

Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing .mp4 files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nothing much more I can say than the title. I'm trying to work with some .mp4 format files a friend supplied and when I try to import them to my workspace, I get an error saying the file has an unsupported compression type. How can I find out what that type is, and how can I go about changing the file to something that premiere can work with?

Topics

Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have searched one of the old adobe forums, and basically it must be a codec issue. I would suggest you take a copy of your video file and download and install handbrake an opensource application to convert your file without quality loss. 

it's not a very difficult interface but still, you can check out the video. recommend you to install QuickTime and convert your mp4 file to QuickTime format .Mov for better performance. 

comment back if this solve your problem  or tell how you solved it so others may also benefit the way you got it solved

regards

Charles (friendly community member )

Windows Expert 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean it allows me to convert the file to work with it so that's is a solution to the problem at hand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Ann Bens LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont need Quicktime especially on a windows machine, stick to Handbrake.

Please post screenshot of the clip in Mediainfo in treeview.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?
Report back with the codec details of your file, use the program below
Free program to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
- when you analyze your file in MediaInfo and post a screen shot in the forum, do so in TREE view

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines