Highlighted

Importing Red Footage into Premiere Pro CC, multiple files appear, but which one do I use?

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every take that I imported from the Red appears in Premiere Pro as multiple files, ranging from 2-10+.
Each file is exactly identical in terms of length/performance/etc.

As of a few minutes ago, I've learned this is normal.

However, I couldn't find a thread that mentioned this particular strangeness:

In each take's folder, one file is faded out, and is listed as "1920 x 1080 (1.0)", while all others are vibrant, not faded at all, and listed as "4800 x 2700 (1.0)".
This "faded out" look was to be expected, as we used a filter to add a smokey effect.

Questions
1) A friend suggested that the first one is raw, but based on the resolution info, that can't be right, can it? It must be that the vibrant one is raw? Or do they combine upon export?

2) I am syncing my separate audio files now... do I need to do this for each video file, or just one per take? If so, which one do I choose?

3) Is it reasonable to move ahead and ask my color grader  (an expert, unlike myself) to address this? Could they somehow apply all my cuts and changes to the larger (or correct) files later?

Other Info:

-I used the "Command-I" option to import. (I have just read there are many other ways to do this.)
-I have already organized every shot into favorites etc; added my 8 tracks of audio (saved as one .wav) into the relevant bin. Next time I'll use a spreadsheet, but I am hoping for a resolution that doesn't require a different import model
-I'm on a Mac
-I am anew user (used Final Cut X last time, years ago)

Any advice is welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing Red Footage into Premiere Pro CC, multiple files appear, but which one do I use?

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every take that I imported from the Red appears in Premiere Pro as multiple files, ranging from 2-10+.
Each file is exactly identical in terms of length/performance/etc.

As of a few minutes ago, I've learned this is normal.

However, I couldn't find a thread that mentioned this particular strangeness:

In each take's folder, one file is faded out, and is listed as "1920 x 1080 (1.0)", while all others are vibrant, not faded at all, and listed as "4800 x 2700 (1.0)".
This "faded out" look was to be expected, as we used a filter to add a smokey effect.

Questions
1) A friend suggested that the first one is raw, but based on the resolution info, that can't be right, can it? It must be that the vibrant one is raw? Or do they combine upon export?

2) I am syncing my separate audio files now... do I need to do this for each video file, or just one per take? If so, which one do I choose?

3) Is it reasonable to move ahead and ask my color grader  (an expert, unlike myself) to address this? Could they somehow apply all my cuts and changes to the larger (or correct) files later?

Other Info:

-I used the "Command-I" option to import. (I have just read there are many other ways to do this.)
-I have already organized every shot into favorites etc; added my 8 tracks of audio (saved as one .wav) into the relevant bin. Next time I'll use a spreadsheet, but I am hoping for a resolution that doesn't require a different import model
-I'm on a Mac
-I am anew user (used Final Cut X last time, years ago)

Any advice is welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 09, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT:

The repeats have the same file name. So the answer must be that they are combined automatically upon rendering?
If so, does it matter which file I sync to?

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have spanned files. The best way to import such files is to use the Media Browser to import the files in Premiere Pro. The Media Browser has filters for certain file types (such as R3D) and will display the R3D spanned files as one clip.

More info on Media Browser:

Import with the Media Browser |

Import with the Media Browser | 

Import a range of media types |

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent,
Thank you, but I am hoping for a resolution that doesn't require me to import again. I suspect it is possible.
I don't want to re-import because I've already organized all my files, made notes separately, and have synced 60% of the footage.
So re-importing is saying goodbye to many hours of work.

Upon further investigation I noticed the following:

-all the files have the same exact file name; not even one character is different 

-there is always one 4K file, but often times many files in 4K. However, there is only one in 1080p per take.
-the 4k files appear to be missing frames, and therefore aren't useful for making the rough, un-rendered cut (in any case, the play back is poor, though more vibrant in terms of picture quality)

All this said, I am relatively sure...
-Premier CC is offering the 1080p for editing, so the files can be more easily managed
-therefore it makes sense to sync just to the 1080p
-and then upon rendering, the files combine (why else would they have the same file name)?

Is this true?

Also...
How does one decided when it's appropriate to import via Command-I, vs the Media Browser?

Many Thanks,

Caleb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you just ask questions and not make 101 wrong conclusion , espeacially with WHY WOULD. bcs you obviously dont get why. just ask a question and get it answered. bye

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens if you select a one of the duplicate clips in the bin or timeline and control click and choose reveal in finder (or explorer in windows).  Do all the duplicate cllips point to the same file.  Usually spanned clips are used on older cameras when the format of the media is fat32 (an archaic format that has a 4gig file size limit).  the camera automatically starts a new file when it reaches the file size limit and your editing software should seamlessly merge the files into a single clip using the metadata.  You might check out a program called editready which will merge the clips and transcode to almost any format which are a breeze to then import into any editing program.  I think there may be a free demo...   Another possibility is that the camera may be recording to multiple formats such as raw files which are best for color correction and lower resolution proxy files which are easier to edit.    

Wouldn't think the red would be doing that.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0