Highlighted

Importing video into Premiere changes its frame rate to half.

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a video clip that's an MP4 and 29.97fps into any version I have of Premiere Pro, it comes in at 14.99 fps and is only half as long as the original.

Can anyone help me figure out what is happening here?

Thanks,

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing video into Premiere changes its frame rate to half.

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a video clip that's an MP4 and 29.97fps into any version I have of Premiere Pro, it comes in at 14.99 fps and is only half as long as the original.

Can anyone help me figure out what is happening here?

Thanks,

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 30, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of the clip in Mediainfo in treeview.

On a side note phone footage and sreencap can cause issues in Premiere, being variable framerate.

Needs to be converted with Handbrake to constant framerate first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2017 1
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera was used to record the footage?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still searching for an answer to this.  I have students collectively working on a project where some students have the media import properly at 29.97fps and others get it importing at 14.99fps.  There does not appear to be any differences in their systems, and the media is being linked from the exact same location.  What can cause media to import at the wrong frame rate?

FWIW, the footage is .mov files from a Panasonic UX180 and was shot in 1080i. (29.97)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a show every week via Wetransfer and when I download it and bring it into Premiere Pro it can come in with a frame rate of 29.97, 14.99 or just no frame rate shown. If I look at the video, it is the correct length, but the audio is way way off and would never be right. The sender swears he is sending 29.97 so I don't know where it is going wrong.  I then have to run it through Mpeg Streamclip or

Handbrake, telling either program I want 29.97 and every frame accounted for All Frames.  When this has finished, the show imports to Premiere just fine at 29.97 and the audio sync is perfect.  This is a 28-minute show so it costs me extra time to correct it, which I'd rather not spend doing this, but at least it always works.

Steve Garman

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AudioEditor, I am trying your quick fix using Handbrake, and I was wondering what preset you used that work. I sent my client an mp4 thats 24 FPS with a resolution of 2048x2048, but it is coming in on his end at 12 FPS on premier. Any guidence you can offer would be much appreciated. I took a look at the unoffical "guide" the LEGEND has posted, but a majority of it is condesending and useless....

Thank you again in advance!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the media is being linked from the exact same location.

That could be a problem.  I recommend Steps 3g and h below.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3g and 3h don't seem to fix the issue either.  I've tried importing directly from the original SD card and that doesn't work either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Try Steps 2h and i from the Troubleshooter, keeping Steps 3g and h fully in place.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2017 0
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried to clean out the media cache database?

Preferences--Media Cache--Clean Unused

This can sometimes fix non-importing footage in Avid, might be worth a try with Premiere. Best of luck, hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope...unfortunately it made no change.

Even more weird is that I can have a different student login to the same Mac (different user account) and when they import the same footage it will work.  There's gotta be some setting on individuals accounts or some process that is being done ever so slightly different.  I just can't seem to figure it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2017 0