• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to change the font in captions - Premiere Pro (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I downloaded the last version of premiere pro, the 2018 one, and as I want to add captions to my video it is impossible to change the font.

So I went back to the 2017 version and yesterday it worked.

But today, the option is not available anymore. I have the same problem in the 2 versions.

I just can't choose the aesthetic of the captions. I can only change the text and position.

Has anyone had the same problem ? Is there some setting I need to change ?

Thank you for your help, it is kind of urgent as I need to handle some work soon.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thought only Open Captions you are able to change font etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not working in open captions either. You could just a short time ago though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to look at 2017 later. Closed captions are often set by the end app. What kind of closed are you using? 608, 708.

Open captions in 2018 allow me to edit size and color. Closed have the limits you describe. Also, I don't think transparency is working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing font etc in Open Captions work just fine, even transparency in 2018..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ann. I was looking in the wrong place. Transparency in closed caption is a background color option. And so far I can't get it to stick.

In Option Caption, it is not in background color, but opacity. And works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

captioning editing font.JPG

It isn't there anymore and I can't change it? There is no way for me to lower opacity the slider is gone! I am so frustrated with being told it works fine! Yeah it works fine if you want a completely opaque line blocking out your artwork you spend hours designing! There were two sliders where the boxes I added above are and they are gone since last time I worked in P.pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to note that you were in open subtitling, not open captions. I have not looked at that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is you can convert your open subtitling stream to open captions. Duplicate it first just for insurance; you cannot convert open captions to any other stream type.

Select the stream in the project panel. Edit -> Duplicate

Pick either the original (to change the one that is in your sequence) in the project panel. Right Click -> Modify -> Captions -> Open Captions and set the frame size, framerate/drop non drop, and PAR.

You can also export the Open Subtitling stream as a sidecar if you don't want these burned in, but since that does not allow transparency, that is not what you want.

Yes, PR captioning is a moving target, and creates a fair bit of confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sallyjane, probably no news to you now, but here are more results.

My comments here are for In PR CC 2017.1.2, which, for captioning is the same as 2017.1.4.

In 2017, there was no option to create Open Subtitling.

In 2017, for Open Captions, there is an opacity slider for background and Edge Color, and none for text color. There is a drop down for font type, and sliders for size and edge size. And these are the same for 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have selected Open Subtitling, your image is correct, there is no error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an issue with changing size or anything else of imported SRT subtitles. The decision is to open SRT in Subtitle Edit and just resave it or save with another name. Now open in Premiere and voila! It works as it supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I found the solution: to edit the font and other parameters, you have to choose other type of subtitles, not Open Subtitling, but "Normally visible captions" (sorry, my menu is in Russian)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sallyjane, I doubt it is related to your problem, but in my test today on open captions, I noticed something I had not noticed before. If I open an open caption .srt in the source monitor before adding to a timeline, I can make edits in the captions panel, but those edits do not appear in the source monitor nor in the program monitor once the captions are added to a timeline.

If added to the timeline before opening in the source monitor, edits made in captions panel show, also show in the source monitor if then opened there, and edits can be made in captions panel or timeline.

I wonder if such factors are creating some of the oddities users are often seeing with captions?

(And I wonder if the upcoming fix for the disappearing markers, will fix this.)

Have not gone back to 2017 to compare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am no longer able to change the size of the font the opacity of the background of the font or the font itself in open or any kind of captions. I really need to be able to adjust this on my screen. The only controls that I have is the color limited to 5 colors and background color and I can choose something about opacity but it doesn't do crap! I don't want background of captions to be opaque and I want control over what my captions look like and what size they are and the font. The controls are gone from the last time I used it? They were there, but they are no longer there now?

Sallyjane Woods

P.S. I have googled and searched for a work around but doesn't seem to be one. This is not a good change to the program!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem right now in AP2020, why is it still like that? How can i change the font and its size in subtitles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REASON FOUND:

"Font Family: selects one of the font families available on your system (Note: not every font is supported; if it’s unsupported, Premiere will use a default font)"

Source: Deep Dive: Working with Open Captions (Subtitles) | Adobe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the supported fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the supported fonts?

There is no list of which fonts are supported/unsupported. Most are.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D,

Have you tried the new captions feature in Premiere Pro Beta? Very flexible as far as design, I think.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it, and it is awesome. But I'm using Team Projects and my other peers are using the Production version, so I can't move now. I'll wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines