iphone 12 video problem

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just started filming with an iphone 12 pro, and the videos I import to premier pro (1080p60 HDR “dolbyvision”) are choppy on the app. I would like to know if this problem is going to be fixed by adobe very soon? Otherwise I would like to have a solution to be able to work with the videos that I have already shot. thank you

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Formats, Hardware or GPU, Import, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

iphone 12 video problem

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just started filming with an iphone 12 pro, and the videos I import to premier pro (1080p60 HDR “dolbyvision”) are choppy on the app. I would like to know if this problem is going to be fixed by adobe very soon? Otherwise I would like to have a solution to be able to work with the videos that I have already shot. thank you

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Formats, Hardware or GPU, Import, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those clips use a particularly nasty version of the VFR ... variable frame rate ... format. You have a constant 'frame' rate (sample rate, really) for the audio, but the video frame rate changes constantly as the phone "sees a need" for frames.

For example, you could have the phone set to 30fps. But in MediaInfo when you check the file properties, it might say that it's VFR, and frame rate varies from 26.92 to 31.1 frames per second through the clip. But Premiere has to have a specific number of frames per second, every second. So it needs to create additional frames for much of the clip in various spots, and in other bits, cut frames.

Some VFR media Premiere can work with not too shabbily. My Samsung phone is often ok. But even then, it's easier and typically better quality to get the VFR clips converted to CFR in the free utililty app HandBrake then replace any 'original' clips used in the project with the converted ones.

In Handbrake, be sure to go to the video tab, and click the CFR circle and set a specific number in the frame-rate box. Then set compression to "near placebo".

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On top of the Variable Framerate thing, I'm going to guess you're in the HEVC codec, which is one of the worst codecs for video editing. Also, I'm not really sure what sort of "HDR" is really coming from an iPhone 12, but generally speaking HDR is not a simple thing in a video editing workflow. Basically, you have three major factors contributing to difficult playback: VFR, HEVC, and HDR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 1