• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone video glitching in editing - transition issues, HEVC codec issues perhaps?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! My coworker sent me a video off of her phone for a social media post we are making. Last month in December she'd send me videos off her phone through Google Photos or through Microsoft's One Drive, I'd download them, edit them in Adobe PP, and then export them back out to her to post online. Same phone and we've had no problems in the last year we've been doing this. 

Last week, she sent me another couple of videos to edit and this time my Windows 10 PC told me that in order to play the video, I'd need a new codec - HEVC Video Extension for 99 cents. I ignored it and put the video file into my Adobe PP timeline to see if it would play in editing and it did. But then as soon as I began to add transitions, and a name title, any kind, the video would glitch, and the audio would be fine but the visuals would repeat rapidly out of sync or suddenly pop up from the beginning of the video even though no editing had been done in that area of the timeline, and then go out of sync with the audio. 

I tried as a test to export the file to see if maybe it would come out okay (hoping it was just a slow computer) But, the almost 3 minute video that was rendered at 720p file took 2 hours to export and normally it would take a few minutes to export into a movie file. Then in playback it glitched the same way, out of sync and repeated visuals or moved visuals that were not touched in editing. 

I decided to go home and use my personal computer to edit under a brand new file and it did the same thing. So today back at work it asked me to purchase the HEVC Video Extension and so I thought maybe this would be my solution, and it charged me $1.06 on the Windows store with no refunds available and although it does playback in the Windows video watching app now without glitching, in editing it is still glitching every time I cut, or add a transition to the video file.  I'm using the updated 14.0.1 Adobe PP and am just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what I can do, if anything to fix or adjust this issue? 

Could it be a Windows PC issue, an Adobe PP issue? An iPhone update issue? User error maybe on my end? Would anyone know any tests I could run to try to resolve this? Thanks in advance! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

yes hevc is a bear of a format.  May make sense to transcode before editing, and the other issue with iphone videos is that iphones record with a variable frame rate which can cause serious problems.  Use a program called handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr

Post back if you need some help with the conversion process...  (or do some searching here and you'll find some answers)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes hevc is a bear of a format.  May make sense to transcode before editing, and the other issue with iphone videos is that iphones record with a variable frame rate which can cause serious problems.  Use a program called handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr

Post back if you need some help with the conversion process...  (or do some searching here and you'll find some answers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much mgrenadlier, I used Handbrake (forgot I had it honestly) and converted the file and that worked! Appreicate the help very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hail from the future....You just saved me a few gray hairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines