Highlighted

Is Firewire becoming obsolete?

Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to a conversation I had with HP, no computer they make, desktop or laptop, comes with FireWire.

Why does Adobe continue to only make video capture compatible with FireWire?  Will they be looking into other sources of video capture?

TOPICS
Formats, Hardware or GPU, How to, Import, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is Firewire becoming obsolete?

Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to a conversation I had with HP, no computer they make, desktop or laptop, comes with FireWire.

Why does Adobe continue to only make video capture compatible with FireWire?  Will they be looking into other sources of video capture?

TOPICS
Formats, Hardware or GPU, How to, Import, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What device, exactly, do you have that you want to capture from?

Are you working with HDV/DV tapes?

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mini DV Camcorder, and would also like to capture from a VCR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

technology changes...  but I don't think adobe limits capture to firewire...  have you investigated the blackmagic intensity shuttle (or whatever t f they're calling it no).  You can use it to capture via usb3...  If you want me to test it, I've got access to one and will try it...  just let me know...  and firewire was pretty much an apple interface.   so I'm guessing your problem is more with apple than adobe...  apple's abandoned firewire...  bwdik

If you're looking for deck control so you can capture with timecode that ship's probably sailed... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had two separate conversations with Adobe within a week of one
another, one saying that USB capture is possible, which I have not tried
yet but I'm willing to, however the second conversation I had with an Adobe
representative stated firewire was the only way to capture video.

However, I would need to not throw my money away, so... I would greatly
appreciate it, yes, if you tested out your USB capture software!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked and yes, I still have the computer with the 1394 / Firewire connection. Unfortunately my mothers 'husband' threw the DV camera away, he said it didn't work. I think the battery was just dead and he didn't have the power cable, so I'm stuck without a way to get my DV files from about 10 mini DV cassettes. Are you in SoCal by chance?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what a great post.  so much of a story here...  and the power of " ".  I've got an old sony minidv camcorder.  I'll bring it in to test the power of the intensity pro shuttle.  If it works, I'll post back and if you trust me, I'd be happy to attempt to capture your tapes...   were the tapes shot on a sony "handycam?"  that'd make the odds better...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I'm in NYC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Intensity Shuttle only works for capturing VHS if your VCR has a built in TBC as seen in the video link below. The Canopus ADVC 110 is your best bet as seen in the video link below.

https://youtu.be/dVLUxRkPMdA  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"no computer they make, desktop or laptop, comes with FireWire."

You can add a Firewire card.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A FireWire Card would be nice, however I would like to make it happen through HP and not destroy my warranty.

This whole thread I started is based on principle... we shouldn't have to hack our computers half to death to import home movies with any program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro can work with all types of capture cards. If your computer has Thunderbolt you can get a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter as seen in the video link below.

https://youtu.be/vATw63nn3OQ  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a PC with USB 3.1, and ethernet, and unfortunately HDMI OUT only.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mini DV Camcorder, and would also like to capture from a VCR.

If you dv camera has analog-in you can use this camera as a converter to capture from a vcr.

You do need firewire.

In every descent windows desktop machine you can install a firewire care.

I would not go the usb route.

And yes firewire is becoming obselete.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is would HP install FireWire for me, because otherwise my warranty will become obsolete if I were to do it myself and I cannot take that risk.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0