• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to change the duration of the timeline in Premiere Pro CS5.5?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm used to working on Avid systems where the length of the timeline is determined by the last asset in the timeline, where it ends. I'm editing commercials and don't need or want a 10 minute timeline. Does anyone know how to change the duration of the timeline, like you can in After Effects? I've tried everything I can think of and It seems like it is not possible.... Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Your timeline ends with the last media file...
ignore anything beyond that.  That's what Premiere does.

You can use the backslash key (\) to fit your timeline view
to the length of the assets it contains.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your timeline ends with the last media file...
ignore anything beyond that.  That's what Premiere does.

You can use the backslash key (\) to fit your timeline view
to the length of the assets it contains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sequence ends when it ends, but the timeline continues for 10 minutes, so that when I zoom all the way out I see a sliver of my sequence and a bunch of empty timeline. I want to be able to zoom al the way out and see only the sequence - have it fill the whole thing - just like it would in Avid software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To zoom the timeline to fit your assets:

With the timeline selected, hit \ - (backslash key)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand using the backslash key fills the screen, but the rest of the empty space is still there, you just won't see it until you zoom all the way out. I want the timeline to 45 seconds long, period. No extra space. When I zoom all the way out, I only want to see my sequence. Is that possible? From what you're telling me, the answer is "no".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the rest of the empty space is still there

You will learn to ignore it.

I cut mostly :30's, and it is no problem.

When I zoom all the way out, I only want to see my sequence. Is that possible?

Yes.

All you have to do is use this method to "zoom all the way out":

With the timeline selected, hit \ - (backslash key)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Joe! You answered my question. The whole timeline cannot be shortened - only zoomed in. I just have to live with it. Good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, if you are seeing a Duration for your Timeline, that is longer than what you "anticipate" with your Assets on it, then you could well have an "Orphan," out beyond the anticipated end. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The timeline will always be 10 minutes longer then the last frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An unfortunate reality we must deal with.

It would be better if the Program Monitor at least showed only the actual sequence duration.  Just so we get a better idea of how much of it is left by looking at the CTI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Coltron4040 Click and drag one end of the Timeline scroll bar and adjust accordingly.

Where you can make your Timeline 10 min. or any time period you want.

thanks,

Suraj Shinde.

スクリーンショット 2023-03-14 午後12.25.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, but that doesn't fix the issue we are trying to solve.

We are trying to eliminate the empty blank space at the end of the timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So apparently  four years later and they still haven't fixed this issue? How stupid. Every other program will let you determine your own length. I'm currently dealing with it because - with a two monitor setup - when I move my mouse over to the right monitor where all my settings/effect are, the timeline scrolls all the way to the end; 10 minutes past the end of my clip! So dumb. Nothing I can do about it.

I miss Avid. I miss Final Cut 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I don't mind this, but I'm have the same issue as timpani - whenever I move my mouse to the 2nd monitor my timeline scrolls to oblivion.  time to submit a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*timdan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dusey,

Are these Dell monitors? What kind of mouse do you use?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

I'm not sure about Dusey, but this has nothing to do with the monitor or the mouse. I'll give you my specs anyway. I've had this problem happen while hooked up to a Dell monitor and my laptop; a Dell monitor and cinema display (Mac Pro); and cinema display and my laptop; using a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet; and a Wacom Bamboo tablet and even tried using Magic Mouse.

The issue is an "auto-scroll" feature of the timeline that cannot be turned off. It goes away for a while, but then will randomly come back. Usually after dragging and dropping an effect onto a clip in the timeline. It's also perpetuated by the ridiculous notion that I need an additional 10 minutes of space at the end of every sequence.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not dell.  I have a 3 monitor setup, my MacBook Pro's display, an Apple Lightening display, and an Acer. 

I'm using the magic mouse, though I've seen it when I'm using the track pad also. 

I'm on CC 2015 now and have seen it there also.  closing the timeline does fix it, but I recently had it happen, then randomly have it not happen, then happen again, while working and dragging stuff into the timeline, without closing anything.  (so easy to troubleshoot, right?  😕  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you for teaching me this shortcut. SUCH a time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I know this is already several years old, but I found a solution to the problem and figured this is the best place to post it.

To reduce an enormous gap in your timeline, what you have to do is mess with the frame the sequence window is in. Shorten it horizontally, then bring it back to normal. As you mess with it, Premiere will adjust it. Hope this helps someone out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice tip. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I was looking for thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that an 8 year old answer to an 11 year old question just solved my issue. We really are living in a weird timeline, no pun intended. I found that it "saves" the timeline to your "maximum"  and doesn't reset until you do some weird resizing nonsense like this. I just shortened a 15 hour timeline down to 48 minutes because of this tip. I thank you, replier from 8 years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm still having trouble shortening my 10-hour timeline for a 2-minute video. Could you elaborate more on how to shorten it or post a quick video? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines