Is it possible to Create New Bins in Place?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is already a feature or option in Premiere that I missed, I would love to know, because every time I start a new project, the first thing I do is make a bunch of different bins to organize everything in to, and the way it works from default is pretty annoying.

As is, when you create a New Bin using a keyboard command, the first thing that happens is you get to name that bin, fine by me. But, hitting enter doesn't just end the naming function, it also moves the selection to the first metadata column of that New Bin, and now that bin remains selected.

New Bin.png

Creating another bin with the keyboard command now places that Second Bin inside of the first. You can rename it, but pressing enter returns the selection back to the initial New Bin.

Second Bin.png

Finally, and what's most annoying, is if you repeat the same sequence of steps, you now get a Third Bin, however pressing enter doesn't bring you back to having the New Bin selected, but instead continues on the path of renaming the remaining bins below.

Third Bin.png

This is such a frustrating and time consuming process that forces the user to constantly be taking their hands from the keyboard, deselecting bins, and moving new ones to the intended position in the file structure. Is there just not a way to create new bins in place? The ideal solution for me would be having the function to just keep making new bins with the same keyboard command, and when I'm done naming, pressing enter returns my selection to what it was before the last bin was created, that way I can just keep adding bins to the level of the structure that I'm currently in.

Thanks for reading, any and all feedback is appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing, How to, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press the Esc key once your new bin is created, it should deselect that bin and allow you to create a new one in place.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a couple methods.

First of course, if you have a standard setup of bins you like as many of us do, create a "Template" project with those bins. Then it's just using Finder or Explorer to copy the project and rename it to start the process, locating it where you need to for your new project, and there you are.

Or, if you have your media organized in folders on the drive as you want the bins to be setup for a project, use the Media Browser panel, navigate to the top folder of the media, right-click import ... and it will create bins within the project named as the subfolders on your disc. With the same media inside them as is on the disc.

Neil

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines