Is it possible to share & use my external SSD drive for a Premiere Production Project?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering is it possible to use an external SSD drive when using Productions in Premiere Pro to share & edit a project? 

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible and "wise" ... are most often different questions.

But there are things to your question that I don't know for certain. To "share", do you mean you'd work with one computer on the project with the media & Production on an exeternal drive ... then go to another computer with that drive and work with the project?

If so, yes, you could do that.

It's the "share" that I'm unsure of. How do you intend to share ... and what do you intend to share? Production folder/file? Assets? What?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the help here. 

I was able to figure it out by using Google Drive.  

I wasn't sure if I could use a simple external SSD drive or if I needed to have a shared drive. 

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but using Google Drive is totally a shared drive lol! 

Thanks again! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can. Your best bet would be to format the drive to exFAT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the help here. 

I was able to figure it out by using Google Drive.  

I wasn't sure if I could use a simple external SSD drive or if I needed to have a shared drive. 

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but using Google Drive is totally a shared drive lol! 

Thanks again! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use a NTFS formatted SSD and go from one PC to another the folders and drive might lock up. It is best to use exFAT for shared physical drives. I used to hot swap NTFS drives between to Windows XP, Vista and 7 but with Windows 8 and 10 the tend to lock up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines