• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a 'clipboard contents' function in Premiere? (avid user here)

Explorer ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all,

I'm making my start on Premiere from Avid, and would like to know if there's a 'clipboard contents' function in Premiere? This is a huge part of my workflow and saves so much time. I copy something from one timeline, and then bring up those contents in the source monitor to edit from as if it was normal source material.

I apprecaite this might be a crazy way of doing things in Premiere, so I'm open to hearing how Premiere users do such a task.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Not sure if this was resolved but the copy to clipboard function does exist in Premiere to an extent. When you mark in and out, make sure you have no clips selected in the timeline, this will ensure what you marked will be the selection that a subsequence will be created from. Once you do this, the subseqence is then automatically loaded into the source monitor, from there you can open source in timeline. There you can insert/overwrite between your edit and source timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select something on a timeline, then simply use the "open in source monitor" option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil: Open in SM is only availble in the Project window not the timeline.

James: You can select clips in the timeline, right click and Make Subsequence.

Now go into the Project window and drag this new sub sequence into the source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like exactly what I'm after.

Would it be possible to make some sort of shortcut to automatically throw this new sub-sequence into the source monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Sorry this didn't work. I don't want to have to select whole clips, I want to mark a specific region using in and out, and then fully control how I use that selection. In Avid I could load this selection into the source monitor (load/display clipboard contents) and have full control over the tracks, make a selection within this, and either overwrite or insert into the timeline. This was very powerful.

So my specific questions are:

1. How do I load the copied clipboard contents (made using In/Out - COPY) into the source monitor?

2. I would even settle for being able to open the copied clipboard contents into a timeline and pancake the two timelines. That would be amazing.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you could do that using Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-K to cut through everything at In and again at Out points.

Then select the area, and Ctrl/Cmd-drag to a different timeline panel in a pancacke workflow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, thanks.

it's not a bad solution - I mean, it works. But what a hassle! Lots of steps involved, not to mention the mess I'm leaving behind with all those extra edits.

No other way? Perhaps this is something I have to leave behind in Avid. It's pretty amazing being able to select a portion of the timeline with just in and out points, and no extra splices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to edit comfortably with Premiere you will have to throw some avid habits overboard.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally expect that, and I want to use premiere as premiere not avid.

But this is a way of working, not a habit. And throws light on something Premiere just can't do that it should be able to. (In my humble opinion!)

So how do you quickly take something from one sequence and put it into another? In avid this take literally seconds. I'd love to hear a good way of doing this in premiere. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pancake timelines; drag and drop.

I tried to learn FCPx but gave up as it did not have certain features Premiere had....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been looking to replicate the AVID clipboard function and this is what I came up with:

1) Set the IN and OUT point.

2) Assign a keyboard shortcut to the function "Select In to Out".

3) Use "Select In to Out".

4) Press Command + C or Command + X depending on whether you want to Copy or Cut the footage. Either way, this footage is now in your Clipboard.

5) Your Playhead will serve as an IN point (ignoring any IN points you may have set), when you then Overwrite or Insert the clip using Either "Paste"/Command + V (acheives the equivalent of Overwrite) or "Insert Paste"/Shift + Command + V (acheives the equivalent of Insert).

Obviously, this doesn't put it into the Source Monitor, which you might want if you wanted to be more precise, and it doesn't seem possible to paste the clip into the Source Monitor afterwards.

If you did really need it in the Source monitor then I'd suggest using the "Make Subsequence" function, as that will create a sequence from the clips between an IN and OUT, AND automatically puts that into the Source Monitor, and usually make the Source Monitor the active window as well, so you can quickly start to refine. Obviously, the downside is that you now have some subsequences lying around that you'll need to go and remove once you've done with it from the Source Monitor, but this does at least give 2 options.

Hope these are helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Execution of this simple Avid  Alt-C , which in the case of Premiere Pro is a function of "Make Subsequence", does not work so that you can mark IN and OUT only, but  a little differently! ,You need to do  Add edit  and select the entire selected fragment as a selection .
Otherwise, only the first clip will be transferred to Source Monitor.

Cheers 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mistake  on my part,  sorry !
You can do Subsequence without adding the cuts on the clips  on timeline. But you have to create a shortcut for this function. Because using context menu on timeline changes the previous selection.  You have to be careful with this functionality because you can easily change your  proper selection.  There is also the problem that Premiere Pro creates these Subsequences as sequences in the bin and this causes a mess.   I know that Pancake timeline is a solution, but if you have a multi-track sequence, it doesn't work too well.  I am curious to see how you are doing in a similar situation guys ? I previously worked for over 20 years on Avid, hence my habit of Clipboard contents functionality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did ypu come up with a way to achieve what you want in premiere? I'm struggling with it now, I can't find a convenient way to edit in this program and the absence of functionality of clipboard monitor is a huge problem for me. Right now it is somenthing that prevents me from switching from avid. I need to find a way to copy and control what track I'm pasting the footage to on the new sequence. This and same for pancake technique - I need to paste the footage to the new sequence on a chosen layer, not to be forced to copy it to the same as the source sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to do that in Premiere is to set Track targets in the Timeline panel. There are some keyboard shorts that can be assigned for this. and track presets ... somewhat.

But it's not a 'strong' area for Premiere for sure.

In PCs, you can open a text editor like Windows Notepad, make a text, and drag that from the Explorer window into a bin to get a "notepad" function sorta within Premiere. Not ... optimal ... but the best thing you can do without plugins.

Check the  Knights of the Editing Table site, as a couple of their plugins offer massive help for tracking things. And of course, aescripts.com also. There's options there for some of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this was resolved but the copy to clipboard function does exist in Premiere to an extent. When you mark in and out, make sure you have no clips selected in the timeline, this will ensure what you marked will be the selection that a subsequence will be created from. Once you do this, the subseqence is then automatically loaded into the source monitor, from there you can open source in timeline. There you can insert/overwrite between your edit and source timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I used to call this "KEM Roll" Editing when I was learning Avid. Yes, you described it well. If it isn't functioning right, click the "Insert and overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips button" in the upper left of the Timeline. That should get you going again. Thanks for the post, @Fazy25.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The closest I can get to Avid's clipboard functionality that I have managed is to use 'In' and 'Out' points with Ctrl+C, making sure I choose the tracks I want. Then, I move the playhead and change tracks if needed, using the 'Paste to target track' option, which I've assigned to a keyboard shortcut. The only difference for me is that I have the clipboard content in my head only. I cannot preview it, change the selection, or choose which track is copied to which one if there are several of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @elfique,

Thanks for the detailed response. Feel free to let the developers know how you would like this feature work here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/ct-p/ct-premiere-pro?page=1&sort=votes_desc&filter=all&l... I hope they can grant your request ASAP. Take care.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines