• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a simple way to (ripple) delete single frames?

Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Premiere Pro (have some basic experience with video editing, but not much and from a long time ago). I have been searching for an answer to this one without finding it. I have material where sometimes a few frames are damaged (this is digitised old analog material) producing a visible nasty effect. I'd like to remove such individual frames. Basically, I can split a clip on the frame and the next frame, effectively getting a clip that is one frame long, then ripple delete it. Using the mouse and such, this is really tedious. Are there ways to speed this up? Even, splitting the clip with a key-sequence would already be helpful. But best would be some sort of command to ripple delete the current frame in one go.

Is there a way to make this easy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Mark In (I)

Move play head to out position...

Mark Out (O)

Extract (')

Extract acts as a Ripple Delete, affecting everything in the marked In-Out range. There are of course icons beneath the Program window to do the In, Out, Extract - or use keyboard shortcuts.

I should note that if you completely extract that frame including audio, you may hear a glitch or pop in the audio playback. What I will often do for a bad video frame is cut out just that bad video frame, leaving the underlying audio intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Q and W shortcut. Ripple trim previous/next edit to playhead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q and W ripple delete form the previous edit, which in my case is a split I created with the razor earlier in the sequence, which means a lot is deleted and not a single frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page up/down, arrow left/right, then Q/W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerben,

The quickest way I can think of is:

• Select that specific frame by pressing 'I' & 'o'.
  • Press Alt+Backspace to ripple delete that frame.

Let us know if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, by pressing 'I' the playhead moves to the start of the sequence. I was clicking shift-i, so with 'i' and 'o' two markers are created. But when I then click alt-backspace (I'm on a Mac) the entire clip is removed from the last split I created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happens for me too.  And no one addressed this.  

When I hit "i" (without shift) to mark the in point, it jumps to the start of the sequence.

Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark In (I)

Move play head to out position...

Mark Out (O)

Extract (')

Extract acts as a Ripple Delete, affecting everything in the marked In-Out range. There are of course icons beneath the Program window to do the In, Out, Extract - or use keyboard shortcuts.

I should note that if you completely extract that frame including audio, you may hear a glitch or pop in the audio playback. What I will often do for a bad video frame is cut out just that bad video frame, leaving the underlying audio intact. Then copy the previous good video frame into that empty spot. So the one frame just plays twice, without interrupting the audio. This can be less jarring to the viewer and will likely go unnoticed.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

EDIT: I actually wrote this post before there was ANY replies, but got a call and never hit SEND!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The full sequence:

1. Move play head to the (first) frame that needs to be deleted

2. Hit I key (without shift, this was my silliness, I took (I) as capital I because I was told to hit I (upper case) and o (lower case))

3. Hit arrow-right for as many frames as need to be deleted

4. Hit O key (without shift)

5. Hit ' key

@SAFEHARBOR11 (thanks!) warns about the audio (quite right) but in my case this is silent material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi 

Single Frames in Premiere you have a couple of options:

As you know moving one frame at a time in the sequence:

Left or Right arrow depending which direction you want to move to.

To Remove (or add) one frame at a time - in your normal Select tool (A): 

>Select the edge of the clip you wish to adjust.

>Hold the Option (or Alt) key and then tap the left or right arrow to remove (or add) one frame at a time 

>If you are at the start of your clip - Tapping the Right arrow will remove a frame at a time and tapping the left will add a frame at time so long as you have space between the clips - otherwise it will stop where the next clip ends/starts.

If you wish to do the same as above but ripple the edit - the only change is that you need to be the Ripple Tool (B):

>When you select the edge of a clip the difference is that the highlight on the edge of the clip will be yellow instead of the Red that you have in the Select tool above. 

>In the Ripple mode/Tool - you use the same as above: Hold Down Option (Alt) and then tap left or right arrow to edit one frame at a time with the clip rippling.

Extra cool trick - if you want to MOVE a full clip one frame at a time (or as they say Nudge) the clip:

>  In the Select Tool (A) - you need to select the full clip 

> Hold Command and then tap the right or left arrow to move the clip left or right one frame at a time.

Happy editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines