Is there a simple way to (ripple) delete single frames?

Participant ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Premiere Pro (have some basic experience with video editing, but not much and from a long time ago). I have been searching for an answer to this one without finding it. I have material where sometimes a few frames are damaged (this is digitised old analog material) producing a visible nasty effect. I'd like to remove such individual frames. Basically, I can split a clip on the frame and the next frame, effectively getting a clip that is one frame long, then ripple delete it. Using the mouse and such, this is really tedious. Are there ways to speed this up? Even, splitting the clip with a key-sequence would already be helpful. But best would be some sort of command to ripple delete the current frame in one go.

Is there a way to make this easy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018
Mark In (I)Move play head to out position...Mark Out (O)Extract (')Extract acts as a Ripple Delete, affecting everything in the marked In-Out range. There are of course icons beneath the Program window to do the In, Out, Extract - or use keyboard shortcuts.I should note that if you completely extract that frame including audio, you may hear a glitch or pop in the audio playback. What I will often do for a bad video frame is cut out just that bad video frame, leaving the underlying audio intact. ...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Q and W shortcut. Ripple trim previous/next edit to playhead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q and W ripple delete form the previous edit, which in my case is a split I created with the razor earlier in the sequence, which means a lot is deleted and not a single frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page up/down, arrow left/right, then Q/W.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerben,

The quickest way I can think of is:

• Select that specific frame by pressing 'I' & 'o'.
  • Press Alt+Backspace to ripple delete that frame.

Let us know if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, by pressing 'I' the playhead moves to the start of the sequence. I was clicking shift-i, so with 'i' and 'o' two markers are created. But when I then click alt-backspace (I'm on a Mac) the entire clip is removed from the last split I created.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what happens for me too.  And no one addressed this.  

When I hit "i" (without shift) to mark the in point, it jumps to the start of the sequence.

Ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark In (I)

Move play head to out position...

Mark Out (O)

Extract (')

Extract acts as a Ripple Delete, affecting everything in the marked In-Out range. There are of course icons beneath the Program window to do the In, Out, Extract - or use keyboard shortcuts.

I should note that if you completely extract that frame including audio, you may hear a glitch or pop in the audio playback. What I will often do for a bad video frame is cut out just that bad video frame, leaving the underlying audio intact. Then copy the previous good video frame into that empty spot. So the one frame just plays twice, without interrupting the audio. This can be less jarring to the viewer and will likely go unnoticed.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

EDIT: I actually wrote this post before there was ANY replies, but got a call and never hit SEND!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The full sequence:

1. Move play head to the (first) frame that needs to be deleted

2. Hit I key (without shift, this was my silliness, I took (I) as capital I because I was told to hit I (upper case) and o (lower case))

3. Hit arrow-right for as many frames as need to be deleted

4. Hit O key (without shift)

5. Hit ' key

@SAFEHARBOR11 (thanks!) warns about the audio (quite right) but in my case this is silent material.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines