• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to log a list of all the clips used in a timeline?

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of timelines with a bunch of clips on them.  I need to know a list of the clips in their original file names that were used in the timeline.  Short of right-clicking on each one and selecting "reveal in finder" is there any way of performing this in a printout or a log file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Select your timelines and export as an Avid Log Exchange file.  This will create a text document that lists all the clips used in alphabetical order.  It will also list source folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you can get a log file but maybe this will help you:

You can sort the clips by usage in your project window.

If you right-click somewhere on the top of one of the columns you can select "metadata display"

Unfold "Premiere Pro Project Metadata" > Check on "Video Usage" and "Audio Usage" > Press OK

Now you can sort the clips in your project by usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are Mac based, this app is extremely handy:

Sequence Clip Reporter CC

It includes the file path of the clip in the spreadsheet it creates.

I believe there is a demo version.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No demo version right now and it's unclear whether this works in CC2021 and current Mac OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you will be using it a lot, this is not an option.

But you can export to edl.

Then you need to throw all the unnecessary parts away.

It's far from ideal, but it is an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out EDL Ease.  It provides very limited data, but one of the line items looks to tell me the original file name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kellys10537129

I am the developer of EDL Ease and the software can do this.   You would need to export CMX formatted EDLs for every video layer in each sequence.   You can then drop all the video layers and they will be re-combined into one excel document and if selected in the settings will create duration summaries for SOURCE, FROM CLIP NAME and SOURCE FILE (depending on the workflow) so you would have a parsed out list of all edit events and separate tables with clip names (from all layers)  and their combined Source and Program durations.

EDL Ease is free, secure, codsigned and notarized by Apple and has been tested on OS X High Sierra through Catalina.  It is intended to create a simple yet elegant human readable static list and tabled data from EDL File(s) and should not be used to conform or clean EDL's  There are plenty of other tools out there that offer these functions.

Download a free copy here:

EDL Ease

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this EDL App is a lifesaver! Thank you for developing and sharing this. Just came across the gem of an app. Amazed this isn't built-into PremPro as a feature, so glad this exisits. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, glad you found it helpful and it still works through OS 13 on Macs.   If you're PC or you need the same functionality for XML EDLs you can also look at these other options:

http://www.edlhacker.com/

https://en.editingtools.io/edl/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question! I had the same after reading some of these I just ended up going into my sequence and unlinking that media. Once offline relinked and it gave me a list of the clips to locate, didn't give time codes but was a enough to be able to dump unused clips! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise the thread is old, but for the still curious: Sure, you can use the EDL and tick off for "use source file name". You can also export a FCP XML and make a cusomized retrieval of the info you want for your workflow with for example an XSLT stylesheet. This could be a place to find out how to do it: https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_xslt.asp 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... There really should BE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this page looking for the same feature. I just want a list of all the clips I used so my client can buy stock licenses for them. There was no reasonable way to keep track as I went (we were swapping files constantly), so I guess I'm stuck right-clicking and finding the files one by one by one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another work-around is to:

1. Export the sequence using Project Manager. Exclude unused clips in export. 

2. This will give you a folder of all the media in that sequence.

3. Then you can copy those file names and past into a text edit file.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select your timelines and export as an Avid Log Exchange file.  This will create a text document that lists all the clips used in alphabetical order.  It will also list source folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. Excellent suggestion. I then imported it into excel and have a tab for each of my sequences! You rock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I would add you can only use the Export in the >File drop down menu to export Avid Log Exchange file (not the Export in the Premiere window near Home, Import, Edit, buttons) and then on Mac you use Text Edit to open the Log. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alpha order is kind of a pain -- is there no way to grab the clip names in sequence order? This seems like such an utterly basic functionality and my mind can't comprehend how such a thing still doesn't exist. Programs like Wavelab have had it on the audio side for decades. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

The best way to do this is export an XML out of Premiere Pro. Import, as a timeline, into Da Vinci Resolve. Select the sequence, right click and select Timelines > Export > Edit Index. This will generate a .csv files that can be opened in any spreadsheet program.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve, trying to follow your instructions here but don't know where to find the sequence file. I found the XML in the media pool but there is no timelines > export option there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No edit index option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like they have changed its location.

You now have to be on the edit page. Click the index button up the top then click the three dots in the Edit Index tab to export. 

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 8.55.40 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it Steve - Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The scenario is I need to provide an excel spreadsheet to attorneys for clearance, it needs to have all assets as separate line items with timecode so they can refer to the footage for each clip. Is editing the XML manually the only way to accomplish this?  I cannot believe there is not a solution for filmmakers who need this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines