Highlighted

Is there a way to move clips between Premiere and After effects?

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was working in Premiere Pro with a quite large Drone MP4 clip that I wanted to ad some tracking text to which I believe is only possible to ad in After effects. Didnt find a way to transport the trimmed down clip from PP to AF so I instead brought the full (big droneclip into AF to use the "3D camera tracking" effects on. The problem was that it then took 1 1/2 hour to analyze because the full clip is so huge (I think).

So could I have brought the trimmed clip, which is only a fraction of the original into AF for faster analyzing and then just do the effect and then somehow transport it back in a easy manor to PP where I want to finish the editing?!

Kind regards 

Mats 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

Copy as in ctrl+C trimmed clip from the project window and paste as in Ctrl+V in Ae.

Or right click on clip in timeline and hit Replace with Ae Compositon.

Topics

Editing, Export, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a way to move clips between Premiere and After effects?

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was working in Premiere Pro with a quite large Drone MP4 clip that I wanted to ad some tracking text to which I believe is only possible to ad in After effects. Didnt find a way to transport the trimmed down clip from PP to AF so I instead brought the full (big droneclip into AF to use the "3D camera tracking" effects on. The problem was that it then took 1 1/2 hour to analyze because the full clip is so huge (I think).

So could I have brought the trimmed clip, which is only a fraction of the original into AF for faster analyzing and then just do the effect and then somehow transport it back in a easy manor to PP where I want to finish the editing?!

Kind regards 

Mats 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

Copy as in ctrl+C trimmed clip from the project window and paste as in Ctrl+V in Ae.

Topics

Editing, Export, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some research and found a video explaing how you could open the project file from PP in AF but when I try to do that in AF I only get the 3 folders that I imported into the project in PP in the beginning (Photos, droneclips and Osmo Pocket) so I cant access the videoclips from my PP project and edit it in AF?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I trim the clip in PP to just what I'd need in AE (not AF) then export that as ProRos and import the clip into AE.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 2

I tried rightclick the clip in PP and use the "Replace with after effects composition" but that is greyed out? Do I need to do something with the clip before im able to use that function?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann for the answer, it took me a while before I realized it had copied it but was under a different tab in the window......

Now a follow up, Im done with the file in AE, how is the best/easiest way to transport this AE file back into my alreeady opene project in PP? Should I save the file as something and then drag drop it into my project in PP or is it a easy way to just send it back in the AE app?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to avoid Dynamic Link.

I render out to Prores 4444 and drop that into Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please explain I have no clue at what Prores 4444 is and why is it better then using a dynamic link?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines