Issue with Mpeg2 files (1080i - interlacement issue ?)

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe released CC2020 (over 6 months, maybe more), I and my colleagues have issues with mpeg2 files in Premiere and After Effects (with the last release of AE, I can't even open an old project if it contains mpeg files inside).

Maybe it's due to the interlacement ? (We're a Local TV, in France, and broadcast here is still interlaced... So for many years, we used to export videos in HD 1080i - mpeg 2. Preset still exists in Media encoder and still works... But mpeg2 files from previous versions are completely unreadables.

Please someone can help us ? 

Sorry for my english... I know it's not perfect, I'm doing my best  ^^

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Error or problem, Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might not help you but I have just taken a 1080i 25 camera file into Premiere CS6, exported as Mpeg2 and re-imported into Premiere  14.8.0 (build 39) and Beta 15.0.0 (build 19) without any problems. This is on a Windows 10 machine. Could you Dropbox any of your faulty clips so we can have a look.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard.

That was not the issue the OP reported.

What he is saying is that old projects containing mpeg-2 files will no longer open..this is totally different to importing an mpeg-2 file into a project.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact the two issues are real. I can't open old project with mpeg2 files inside (only in After Effects), AND I can't import mpeg2 files in Premiere / After CC2020 / 2021

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer !

Here is a faulty clip : Faulty clip 

And here is a screenshot of the error message showing up in Premiere when I attempt to import the file (sorry, it's a french version of Premiere):

issue mpeg file.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry - can you please translate this? My school French is not up to the task.....

That said, I will try to look at the file (downloading it now) but I cannot even install the current versions of CC apps, as I am still running Windows 7. I can analyze the file though - give me a few minutes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It imports just fine into 12.1.2 version......but importing isn't the issue, is it? It's when you try to actually open an old project yes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...just looked at MediaInfo.

The file seems to be a straight program stream (MPEG-PS), and seems to be just fine.

It is also supposed to be forwards compatible, so this is starting to look like a Premiere bug to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message says "Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file". Seems like Chinese to me, in both French and English 😉

But, as you say, it seems to be a Premiere bug... But I'm suprised nobody reported this bug before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a Mac, please post comp. specs and OS build.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we all are on PC.
I'm on Windows 10 (with a Geforce GTX 1080)
 Capture d’écran 2021-02-12 112552.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file opens fine in Windows 10 CS6 and CC 2020. Importing the CS6 project with your faulty file into CC2020 also works fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
thomasclst AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... but we all have the same issue here... That's not just me. Maybe a problem with the french translation of Premiere (don't know if it's possible...) ? Or Windows 10 ?...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines