Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues when importing custom made LUT from Photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I spent some time making a custom LUT in photoshop for the first time. I exported it in cube format and saved it.

Then when i imported it into premiere with lumetri colour and under teh creative tab it causes the image to go kimda crazy as seen in the link here: https://imgur.com/k7bT2Wk

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it as I'm completely lost as to what is causing the issue!

I'm working on the latest premiere and photoshop apps on the new macbook pro 16, with 32gb RAM, 8 core processor and AMD radeon pro 5500m GPU with 8gb gddr6 memory.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, please ... on this silly forum software, include your images in your reply directly by clicking the picture icon and uploading the image directly into your reply so it's visible to all without anyone having to link outside the forum or download a file.

Next ... a very frequent comment among colorists and color management experts is that LUTs are the dumbest math out there. That look up table is a very simple array of data modification instructions.

A 1D LUT can only affect tonal values ... brightness. So a 1D LUT can only say "pixels with at brightness level 35 go to 42".

A 3D LUT affects brightness and color, so it can say essentailly "any pixel with R/G/B of 28/31/4 becomes a pixel of 25/42/15".

Past that, there are quite a range of LUT types, and within types, still quite a range of variants. Premiere can't accept quite a few of the LUT types out there ... even some of the ones that you can create within Photoshop.

So ... what all effects did you apply to the image in Photoshop in creating that LUT?

And ... if you could share the LUT (typically very small files really) then some of us here could also see what happens when we try to use it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks so much for your response, i'll keep that in mind in future. And sorry for my late reply, I have been without access to internet for a few days. 

I have attached a link to download the cube file and psp file (sorry if this is not the correct way of sharing, first time poster as you may have guessed!) 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nCRnRaYR_7HbzjYreHKIK44Tb40_PV9_

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the effects i applied were some Hue/saturation adjustments, levels adjustments to the exposure, a blue filter, some curve adjustments and some colour balance. Nothing too crazy as far as I'm aware and followed a youtube tutorial due to my inexperience 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 09.22.39.pngScreenshot 2020-01-24 at 09.22.09.png

Here are screengrabs for ease.

I tried saving in the directory you posted elsewhere but doesn't seem to have helped. There was also no LUT folder when i got to Adobce then Common so I made one and made a creative one and saved the LUT there. It did not show in the drop down menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 09.29.11.png

And it LUT folder i created doesn't show when looking for it via creative tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's doing the same thing here ... clearly, something is causing Premiere to invert the luma. I'm not sure which effect you've applied in Photoshop ain't working, but at least one is not working in Premiere.

I build my LUTs that I do use within Premiere. I used to use SpeedGrade, which was EOL'd sadly four years ago ... and still do occasionally bring that back up to create a specific thing. But this way I know what I'm doing works in Premiere because I see it there ... and nothing you mention having done within Photoshop to create that LUT is unavailable in Premiere.

As to location ... look at the chart, and note the complete folder tree for Macs ... Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/ ... and then add in the Technical (Basic tab) and Creative folders. If the LUTs folder isn't there, as some have reported, make it.

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, do you think i should try starting over with it? 

I'll save it in the correct directory also 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

I would. Get them in the right place ... then go into any current projects refencing the LUTs as you'd placed them in the package/program folder, and re-set to the LUT as now displayed ... and save those projects.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I started over again and saved it in the correct folder so it now shows in the creative drop down menu... Same issue however and the LUMA is inverted.... I'm truly at a loss 

Thanks

James 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That LUT will not work in Premiere. As I noted above there isn't anything you've done that couldn't be easily done within Premiere. I would create that in Premiere and export a LUT.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! 

I was having this same exact problem and wasn't finding the answer anywhere. Then it occurred to me that I didn't have the still I pulled from the video set as the background in Photoshop (I am attaching a screenshot). Not sure if this is the same reason you were having issues.

What I did that fixed the problem was just deleting the background layer and setting my still as the background (Select layer in the layer panel then choose Layer>New>Background from Layer)

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.09.04 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines