• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with applying Lumetri Color to clips inside a multicam

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately whenever I apply a Lumetri effect on a clip within a multicam, it will sometimes stop showing me the changes I made when I go back to the main sequence.  For instance, if I drop saturation down to 0, I won't see that effect on the main timeline unless I quit and re-open Premiere.  Very frustrating with a project full of multicams needing CC and under a tight deadline.  Anyone else encounter this, or have figured out a workaround?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

What version of Premiere are you seeing this issue in? And what are your system specs?

Also, have you tried applying the Lumetri effect as a Master Effect on the clips in the multicam?

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for responding.

I'm on PPro 15 running on a 3.6 GHz 10-Core with 64 GB RAM, on Catalina

When you say a master effect on the multicam, do you mean applying the
effect to the entire multicam clip on the timeline as you would any clip on
the timeline?

Because I need to be able to affect the color on each clip within the
multicam as each clip has different color needs.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woa. Every section (clip) from the same camera in the same shoot has different color needs? Yikes!

I'm used to setting color for each camera via the Master setting (now called Source setting) so I color each camera once and I'm done. If you've got to treat every section of each camera separately, that's a load more work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was talking about 3 different cameras in sync, 3 different color settings.  I am starting to familiarize myself with Master Effects, so this might be my solution.  What I've done up to now is open my multicam in the timeline and then apply the color correction to each clip within the multicam.  It looks like Master Effects might go about this differently, so I'm going to look into it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applying the correction via the Source (old Master clip) tab is easy ... and applies any changes to all sections of that clip/shot in any sequence in the project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying, yes, I know this technique.  It's a different way to do what I was doing before, but just about the same number of steps.  But really, I wasn't looking for a more streamlined workflow, I'm trying to understand the terrible bugginess that Premiere sometimes has.  For instance, I just had one of those weird bugs when I tried the Source method:  I was adjusting the CC effect on the Source side but nothing was happening on the timeline side.  Just to be sure something was happening I cranked the luminance all the way up.  Nothing.  Rolling my eyes, because I knew I'm in bug-land again, I removed the effect.  Guess what?  Now the clip on the timeline is blasted with high luminance!  I REMOVED THE EFFECT, but there it is.  Only way to remove it?  Quit PPro and start it again.  THIS is what I'm talking about.  Stupid buggy BS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a 'delayed' effect, perhaps due to lagginess of performance of PrPro on your system. I've never had that before.

And any time I apply something to the Source clip tab, it applies instantly both to the Source monitor and the Program monitor. On my previous computer and my laptop, occasionally I would get say the Source monitor apply a moment before the Program monitor. But that's all the difference I've ever had.

Why is it so different on your system? Don't know.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe you're using proxies and different sources ( codecs etc. ) so a cache has to be made to try and join that stuff together ( despite the hype you should maybe keep the following in mind if you shoot stuff and edit yourself )

a) use the same cameras and codecs for shooting a scene ( like a live circus or hockey game, etc. )

b) get your basic match for color tonal range ( levels not chroma cause that chroma will be the same through all camera sources ).

edit to your hearts content... it's easy .

You can't rely on hype and stupid stuff claimed by software company to magically do what you should have shot right to begin with.

color correction is not that complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No proxies, same codecs on each clip (camera angle).  All of it was shot competently and professionally, but because of the circumstances of the shoot, they aren't all perfectly matched.  My question wasn't about how to color correct, it was about Premiere not recognizing my color adjustments within a multicam unless I quit and resume.  Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Specs -- you left out the GPU you have and the exact model and year of your Mac. All of that helps in narrowing down the issue, as it might be graphics card related. Like, if you're on a newer MacBook Pro it should not be behaving like this but if you're on an older iMac with a weak GPU I can see that being the issue.

Source footage: what kind of files are you working with? Again this is really important as some files are harder to work with than others (Premiere does not like H.264 or 265 footage from drones for example). 

v15 -- do you need the latest release for captions? Because it's very new and they've only just released the first bug patch (15.1). You could try updating to see if this was a v15.0 bug OR install v14.9 next to it (they can be installed together) and test this workflow in the older version. 14.9 is a lot more stable and I'm personally using it for all my critical work.

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sandfilm

I'm sorry but I just don't always get the gist of the questions posted here. I'm old (70) and retired and pretty dumb about stuff. Basically I use cs6 creative suite ( rarely now) and resolve 15 on edit computer.

that computer is not hooked up to internet so I don't get upgrades ( forced by win 10 or other programs). the hardware is the same for past 4 years, so that hasn't changed either. So there are never any surprises with my so called work flow ( as a hobbyist ). I don't do pro work like other people.

I just use simple stuff at full HD.

I hope you got your problem solved and would love to hear what you did to solve it if you got it fixed.

good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines