• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Closed Captioning

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a few issues with using closed captioning with Premiere. I'm using version 14.2.0

1) I have a bunch of .scc closed captioning files done by a dubhouse. If I load them into Premiere, I can put them on the sequence, but I can't visually see the captioning text in the Program monitor. If I convert the .scc file to .srt in another program (Subtitle Edit), then I can visually see the captioning text in the Program monitor. Why am I able to import the .scc file if I can't use it in Premiere? Or am I doing something wrong?

2) Using the Rate Stretch Tool, I'm not really able to stretch or squeeze the captioning. The clip will change with the Rate Stretch Tool, but the actual captioning does not. Is this a bug? Or does it just not work that way? I want to adjust the timing of the closed captioning universally --i.e. for 23.976fps to 25fps PAL speedup.

3) I don't see how I can export the captioning by itself (not sidecar with a video). If I made changes on the sequence, and have the sequence highlighted, the Export -> Captions is greyed out. I only get the option to Export -> Captions if I highlight the original caption file in my Project panel. I want to export the revised captioning that's in my sequence though. I do see that I can export as a sidecar file, but I don't want to have to re-export the video.

4) I don't see where there's an option to export EBU N19 Subtitle (.stl) captioning files. On this Adobe help page, it shows I can (https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.html). But I only see .scc, .mcc, .xml, .srt formats when creating a sidecar file.

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Closed Captions require telling PR to a) show them and b) which type to show. Clickon the wrench icon on the Program Monitor. Pick Captions -> Enable and in Caption Settings, pick the type and stream type. YOu must also do this to see them in the Source Monitor.

2) It does not work that way. In the Project Panel, right click on the caption stream. Modify -> Captions, then change the timebase there.

3) In the Project Panel, select the SEQUENCE. Then File -> Export -> Captions. 

4) On the page you link, see the Note just below the first mention of stl export. "The default option for NTSC regions is SMPTE Timed Text, and for PAL regions is EBU N19." I agree that this contradicts describing it as an option for export later on that page.

However, in the disucssion of "Using EBU N19," they limit this to using Teletext or Open Subtitling closed captions. And the Export Settings BUTTON in the Caption Panel appears to only act as setting defaults for stl export (on an NTSC system at least).

I just tested this for 608 and 708. Neither provides stl export. Using a Teletext stream, I do get .stl when exporting. And you are presented with the stl options for the export once it is selected.

You could also consider exporting as xml  and converting to stl using something like SubtitleEdit.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Stan-

"4) On the page you link, see the Note just below the first mention of stl export. "The default option for NTSC regions is SMPTE Timed Text, and for PAL regions is EBU N19." I agree that this contradicts describing it as an option for export later on that page."

I thought .scc and .mcc were standard NTSC CC formats? And .srt for Open Subtitles? Anyway, that's what the client wants delivered for English CC's, and French and Spanish subtitles. Is that out of date?

Best, as always,

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines